advice

quote:Originally posted by richmake

If your running 2 stroke mains...you won't be able to slow down to troll without issues and they won't speed up well either...
They will also smoke the **** out of your clients...
I personally like watching everyone in the pooring rain sit on the rear of the boat for hours steering that stupid long arm off a kicker...
I prefer the comforts of the hardtop, heater, etc...

www.coastwidesportsfishing.com

haha...that is pretty funny. Poor buggers.

www.serengetifishingcharters.com

whats a tr-1 chad?

nootkalasttrip015.jpg

I guess I have gone through a bit of what you are going through. I started with inboards straight drives. Loved it, but maintenance was a pain and after taking out a few props I switched the boat to outboards. I ran twin 200's for 4 1/2 years before one of my sumps rotted out. I had about 2000 hours which is about the life span of older four strokes. I also trolled on a 9.9hp power trim model because I knew about the 2000 hour clock on the four strokes. Last year I switched to a single 350 and I added a Simrad AP 28 Autopilot. My boat came up 4 inches in the stern and it had lot more snap out of the hole. Long Story short troll with your kicker, add an Autopilot. In the last 10 years of toys this was the best money ever spent. TR 1 - bin there done that. Now when it's blowing 30 and I am bucken tide I not fighten the wheel and my guest's never have to steer.
I think if I was running twin 140's or 150's I would consider trolling without a kicker as the replacement cost isn't such a killer. Halibut fishing is a pain with twins unless you are anchoring or have a second set of throttles in the back. It is way easier for me now with a single motor Hali fishing in a sea to rough for the kicker.
good luck with your project

Hello
TR1 , I'll be running this auto pilot this year , I purchased it with my Yami T8 High Thrust Remote Kicker, can connect to your chart plotter ,plot a course , Full Auto Pilot , great offshore ,also comes with 2 remote controls , weather proof , one wired , one wireless , great steering from the back , no tiller required !! I also run twins on my rig , personally , troll with the kicker off shore , No Problems ,Unless really blowin, I think you can get an electronic throttle control that intergrates with your gps speed as well , Slick unit , 4 guy's that we know , ran them for 2 seasons now , they love them !! ( NO I Don't work for them )..[:eek:)]

Cheers , FD..;)

IMG_1356-1-1-1.jpg

The Ap 28 drives my main which is connected to the kicker. It is connected to the GPS and gyro compass. I have a wireless remote and I can honestly say I did not touch the wheel all summer when I was fishing. Even in a crowd you can't throw it off and where I fish it is nasty. I have had 2 other pilots and a tr-1 and there is nothing out there that compares. Right out of the box at any speed it was perfect. Save your money for this unit and it will be the best money you have ever spent on your boat

quote:Originally posted by godeep

The Ap 28 drives my main which is connected to the kicker. It is connected to the GPS and gyro compass. I have a wireless remote and I can honestly say I did not touch the wheel all summer when I was fishing. Even in a crowd you can't throw it off and where I fish it is nasty. I have had 2 other pilots and a tr-1 and there is nothing out there that compares. Right out of the box at any speed it was perfect. Save your money for this unit and it will be the best money you have ever spent on your boat

I don't know anything about that unit but it sounds like a fella might want to go for a test drive on your boat...
I only know of the TR-1 but I'm sure that your unit is just as good

www.coastwidesportsfishing.com

Back