About your Flag

When in another countries waters you should be flying that countries flag over your flag of origin.

Go ahead display your flag but show some respect to your neighbours who welcome you. I see way to much of this in my home waters.

It is a mater of respect and a maritime law!

Bad day on the water?

Decafe instead of caffinated??

Or was there a specific trigger???

yea no kidding eh. about the flags!
i've seen it too often in the barkley sound. americans flying their own flag and not a canadian flag. atleast have both on there guys.
personally, i don't know y americans are allowed to come here with their own boats and fish in our waters. if we go to the states and wanna go fishing, then we would have to get a guide from there. i think the americans got it pretty nice not having to get a guide.

fisherman14 As usual, you are blowing smoke out your a** . I have been down to the states with my boat many times and NEVER had to have a local guide and it's not required. Get your facts straight for once. Why don't you check the regs and see what it costs for a non-resident to come up and catch a few fish.Most boats I see from the states fly both flags as they should.

Well, just to stir the pot a little I beleive what you are referring to is called a "courtesy flag". As the name implies it is flown as a courtesy to the country you are visting and is not mandatory. The home flag is usually flown from the position of honor in the stern while the courtesy flag is flown on the starboard side or mainmast. I believe in actual martime law two flags flown one over the other on the same standard means the vessel has been captured.

Be pleased when someone visting out country takes the time to purchase and fly our flag rather than pissed off at the ones that don't. It's not law, it's a courtesy.....

just curious saltspringer i thought you are american !dont get upset i might be mixing u up with someone else with the same name ,same sorta topic . scottyboy

quote:Originally posted by pescaru

Mornin' we need details:D

Cheers
Vic

No details really, just a lot of encounters with this happening. It just means a lot to me as a Proud Canadian to see visitors showing some respect by flying our flag above their own when in our waters and if I can encourage more visitors to do so all the more smiles on the water there would be.:)

Back