About time.

Clint r

Copied from Castanets news service.
Not sure about the island, or other areas of BC but up here some guys are just chewing up the bush. I saw with my own eyes where someone had driven into the creek, traveled downstream about 300 meters and then bushwhacked a new trail across an alpine field to get out. Warnings were posted last year in the local papers and that where I thought it would end. Guess not.

Bill Everitt - Mar 27 4:31 pm
Conservation officers are warning the public not to damage the environment in unauthorized areas after a man was heavily fined for mud bogging, Thursday.
About 2 p.m. Thursday, biologists with the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resources were taking a helicopter to do a bighorn sheep inventory.
As they were en route to the location, they noticed a black pickup mud bogging near the Bear Creek Main forest service road near West Kelowna.
"(The team) observed a vehicle that was essentially creating their own trail," said Conservation officer David Cox. "We were notified, and we attended and found the individual mud bogging in the area."
Cox said the lone male was on Crown land and the area is not necessarily protected. However, it is popular and important for many forms of wildlife.
"It's wintering habitat for a lot of ungulates like moose, bighorn sheep and mule deer," Cox said. "They rely on grasslands and use that area, especially in the spring, it's one of the first areas that greens up."
Cox said mud bogging is not an issue if people stick to designated trails and areas that permit that type of activity. Unfortunately, this person did not.
The man was served a $575 ticket under section 46 of the Forest and Range Practices Act.

Darn right it's about time.. I hope they start doing that more over here in Alberta as well. Enough of these idiots tearing everything up.

Good job fellows keep it up.

Ticket should be a lot more painful. At least enough to fix the damage. florida, you boat in to grass areas, and tear them up, may cost you $50,000 for reparations.

Copied from castanets news service:

The definition of an off-road vehicle is effectively changing in the Thompson Okanagan.
New prohibitions under the Wildlife Act require off-road vehicles, including ATVs, to stay on existing paths or roads.
A path or road is defined as:
A road or trail with a paved surface.
A cross-country or downhill ski route marked in a ski area by the owner of the ski area.
A road used for logging or mining.
A road or trail used for access to fences, power lines, wind generators or communication towers.
A trail on which there is no vegetation except on a strip that, if present, can be straddled by a four-wheel vehicle.
The restrictions apply to all motor vehicles except for snowmobiles operating above 1,700 metres in the Thompson and Okanagan regions.
Riders found breaking the rules could be subject to a $100,000 fine, one year in jail, or both.
If you're motoring around the valley, which sits at 385 metres, you're fine. But it doesn't take long to get up there.
The Lost Moose Lodge, about a 15-minute drive from downtown Penticton, sits at 1,055 metres, and you can't go much farther up the mountain before you're in the restricted zone.
The new rules are designed to protect alpine environments. These habitats support unique ecological plant communities and provide important summer and spring habitat for grizzly bear, mule deer, mountain goats and sheep.
There has been an increase in off-road vehicle use in such areas, and the new "stay on roads and trails" restriction is designed to promote sustainable trail riding and curtail riding habits that result in wildlife harassment and displacement.
In addition to these provisions, there are alpine motor vehicle closures in place in the Lillooet area, where the operation of all motor vehicles is prohibited above 1,920 metres.
This specific closure occurs in the following areas: China Head Mountain (excluding Yalakom-Big Bar road), Nine Mile Ridge, Red and French Mountain and Hogback Mountain.
Further information with respect to motor vehicle restrictions can be found here.
To view a map of the Lillooet closures, click here.

Guy wasn't very smart anyway out there alone, 4wheeling should always be a buddy system in remote areas,

Since I posted the link to this story, I have first hand info from the guy who got stuck. I work with him and he was 4 wheeling in the hills around Enderby BC and got stick in the mud. He was trying to dig himself out when two kids on dirt bikes stopped and offered to get their Dad who could pull him out. After getting him unstuck he cruised around for a while then headed back down the hill. At the bottom was the guy who helped pull him out. The kids had been chased by Conservation officers and they sped back to their Dads truck. Conservation hit them with almost $5k in environmental damage fines. For bogging in the mud hole beside the proper road. I never saw the spot but am told it's a wet spot beside the road that countless peeps have driven through. If I was a hunter, Id be careful.

Castanet readers are strongly divided over new rules regarding the use of off-road vehicles.
Our story last week on new prohibitions for ATVs generated controversy and many comments.
Some welcomed the new rules, others completely disagreed with them. Others questioned how and by whom the regulations would be enforced.
"I'm happy about this. I am an avid trail rider also except on horseback," said Ponyperson. "Picture being up in a picturesque forest, quietly walking on the trail, and out of nowhere comes first a whine. Then it gets louder.
"If the ATV riders are courteous, they see you and your horse and either quiet their engines or they avoid you somehow (a side trail perhaps?) But more often I've experienced people who either don't care or don't know that ripping past you might be deadly."
In response, ATV Person said: "Let me guess. You ride the ATV and motorcycle trails because they are easy and they are open ... every spring we are out there clearing downed trees from the trails. I ride the trails, too, and I can go all day and meet only a few others (many times none).
"Don't get me wrong I support your right to be there just like the hunters, hikers, mountain bikers and bird watchers. If I see you on the trail, I will gladly stop and shut off my engine if I see you having any problem with your horse. You do your thing, and I'll do mine - it's called sharing."
A user named Steve said: "I don't think anyone will listen to this, who will enforce this? Just like the no dogs at the park law. Every time I go, dogs everywhere. Out in the woods, no one will be there."
Another user said: "About time. We are avid campers who firmly believe in leaving things better than you find them."
"We have witnessed and picked up after the mess these vehicles and people leave behind. I know it's not all of them, but only takes a few bad apples to spoil the bunch," posted Film @ 11.
In reponse, Keith Williment said "Actually, as an avid ATVer, I have pulled in to more destruction caused by campers all across the Okanagan.
"Diapers left under picnic tables, garbage everywhere, beer bottles littering the campsite. Sorry, the average quad doesn't and can't pack nowhere near the litter one camper leaves behind on a regular basis. I guess we have bad apples in both."
A poster called UltraViolet hinted at possible conflict in the woods.
"This is an absolute joke! Tree huggers don't want anyone to share roads that were built for motor vehicles many years ago. How about all motorized vehicles only, as the road was created for that, and you tree huggers find your own hiking path far from it?"
Greig Bethel with the Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resources said conservation officers will be able to enforce the new rules as they fall under the Wildlife Act.
Dirtbikes are also included in the regulations and the 1,700-metre elevation was set because of the sensitivity of the environment at that altitude.
"There has been an increase in off-road vehicle use in these areas, and biologists conducting wildlife inventory have noted unregulated use of ORVs in areas where no trails are present," Bethel said in an email. "Alpine habitat is a particularly fragile ecosystem."

I copied this off of Castanets news service as a follow up to the original story.

Back