A question about Radar

Clint r

Digging around in the shop yesterday I came across an old Radar set that I forgot was back there. It's a Sitex 24 mile. I'm not up on Radar so know zero about it. It has the old type "array"I think it's called. The piece that goes on the roof and spins measures about 30" long. I remember setting it up and checking it out when I got it. Works fine, but useless to me. Question is if it's too out of date and should I just chuck it or if it's worth anything at all? It's a complete unit with 20' cable, screen, radar thing ect.

Radar is radar-if it works properly-then it is useful to somebody- How much I have no idea- I certainly wouldn't just throw it away-yes you may not be able to integrate it with all the new electronics but somebody who is handy and would like a bit of safety will want it.

If its all there and working it will have some value.
The open array antennas generally have a narrower beam across a much bigger area than the domes giving them much better target separation, they are however more $$ than the dome counterparts.
Do you have a model # I might be interested in some parts.

Radar unit says:
Sitex/Koden type 3 radar unit MD-30006 the piece that spins measures 40" long

Display says:
Sitex/Koden type 3 indicator unit MD-30008 it measures about 10"x10"x14"
Cable is about 20 feet.
I can send you pictures if you PM me your email address.

That units bit older (early 80sish?) than any thing I could use but I would say you should be able to pull a couple hun outta any working radar IMO
Any boat on the coast that dosent have one could benefit from having one, other than color touch screens this unit will show you what you need to know.

Yep. It came off of a early 80s 29'er. Built an arch for a guy who upgraded and this got left here when all was said and done. It's pretty large so I'm thinking best for a commercial type boat. I'm on the island in June and will post it in the buy sell trade section before I come down. Thanks for the info.

The 2 biggest or relavant issues wrt usefulness of radars are IMHO are:

1/ Power drain - the older radars used to be like 20-30 amps continuous drain. Quite a bit of power drain for many boats. The new ones are like 4-7 amps. Quite a reduction. Depends upon what amperage your outboard can generate or whether or not you have an inboard/outboard with an alternator. So check that out 1st - and see if your outboard magneto can provide the electrical power needed. The outboard must be operating at a particular speed before any excess current is available, and in reduced visibility - so is your speed and engine RPM. I would think larger outboards would have larger electrical outputs in amps. need to check what these are though.
2/ Definition/sensitivity - depends upon both height and width of the antenna (as Sr. SQ posted), and the radar band used (e.g.: S-band 10 cm wavelength 2-4 GHz; or X-band 3cm wavelength 8-12 GHz). The longer the wavelength (the lower the frequency) - the longer the radar echo distance you get, but you loose on definition. Seems like today - with the small boat fleet radars - it is almost exclusively X bands with the exception of the Broadband Radars. Today - they package radars as 12, 24, 36 and 48 mile radars - combining power times frequency in one rating.

The newer radars commonly loose some sensitivity due to their small, compact antenna size and reduction in radar output. It may or may not be an issue for you. You loose sensitivity for compactness. It's a trade-off - and depends upon your needs (e.g. how fast you travel, how often there are logs, deadheads, and other non-metal boats operating in the area - and how often you go out, and how frequent there is fog rain and sea clutter- and how much weight you want on your wheelhouse and how much space you have). Basically what your needs are. The older radar antennas are often quite large and often do not fit well on smaller wheelhouses.

my $0.02 worth - for what it is worth. Don't forget - a radar reflector is a cheap investment for everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back