A "Baseball-bat" for DFO!

quote:Originally posted by cuttlefish

Here's the 2009 Pink Salmon Stock Outlook from DFO. 2 means LOW, 3 means NEAR TARGET;

77. Area-11/13- Odd 2 / 3 2008 returns demonstrated another decline in escapements to virtually all systems monitored, a trend continuing from the 2006 low returns (a similar trend has been encountered in areas north of Johnstone Strait). Only systems in the southern portions of the area (Phillips River, Salmon River, Adam/Eve River and Amour de Cosmos, Quinsam River) demonstrated improvements over parental brood return in 2006. Odd year is typically an off-cycle year for most systems in the area. With current declining trends in the upper portion of the area the expectation for 2009 are to be low to near target abundance. Historically, the mainland inlets populations have been highly variable but expectations for 2009 are similar to what we projected in 2008.

Looks like they didn't get the pink salmon forecast right either. So, that's a good thing.
Thanks again, cuttlefish - for taking the time to correct and highlight sockeyefry's BS. I get tired of it.

Careful there Rico, don't let your mouth write cheques your body can't cash. I could be a UFC champ for all you know.

Agent,

How does Cuttles post correct anything. It doesn't explain why the pink run in the Broughton and in the Quinsam are above expectations, so large in fact that they allowed a commercial opening in the Broughtons in how may years?

Again I state: How do you account for the large run of pinks when Morton and Krkosek prdicted extinction for the species?

Why are you not now questioning their validity as predictors of wild salmon abundance?

You seem to be quick to slag DFO and others. And why is this, could it be they don't fit into your agenda?

quote:Agent,

How does Cuttles post correct anything. It doesn't explain why the pink run in the Broughton and in the Quinsam are above expectations, so large in fact that they allowed a commercial opening in the Broughtons in how may years?

Again I state: How do you account for the large run of pinks when Morton and Krkosek prdicted extinction for the species?

DUHH.... obviously thoose sea lice that usually stick onto the pinks attached themselves to the 11 million sockeye that happened to be swimming by on thier migration out to sea, that have now all but dissapeared. If I had a choice over pinks or sockeye I know what I would choose. [:p]

Take only what you need.
3641877346_d9919f98d0.jpg

Hey Sockeye if you were a ufc champ it might explain your addled witt. You left the door open on that one!!!:D

IMG_1445.jpg

You can see how 9 million sockeye fry would be in harms way swimming through a cloud of lice.

I have personally seen a cloud of lice below the surface. It is frightening to think of a small smolt swimming through the millions of lice I saw.

How can anyone dabate the fact that this is an obvious pheonominon that is directly affecting our stocks??????

No one is saying to shut down the aquiculture industry completely. To the contrary actually. I say let locals reinvent themselves in terms of self contained land bearing operations. Create jobs for our own and Leave Shae and her cohortes to live a "prosperous" one in Norway!

massivelice.jpg

Yea your right, Gun, I did leave the door wide open on that one.

OMG Highlights,, Clouds of Lice, and you saw them. Boy you must have good eyesight to see the infective stage of a sea louse. Better explain Lice physio to him Agent, especially the part about the free living microscopic infective stage. Nice dramatic picture though, really emphasises your agenda.

quote:Originally posted by sockeyefry

Yea your right, Gun, I did leave the door wide open on that one.

OMG Highlights,, Clouds of Lice, and you saw them. Boy you must have good eyesight to see the infective stage of a sea louse. Better explain Lice physio to him Agent, especially the part about the free living microscopic infective stage. Nice dramatic picture though, really emphasises your agenda.
He didn't say he say the naupilar stages. He said: "I have personally seen a cloud of lice below the surface."

Having said that - it would be somewhat difficult (but not impossible) to notice most stages of sea lice. The adult stages are easily enough seen, but I doubt if this was the "cloud" he saw since (as far as I know) - they don't form large "clouds" in pristine waters.

Most likely, it was the carnivorous, opportunistic amphipods that people notice on hook and line caught halibut and other groundfish that have been left for some time.

The older set often refer to these crustaceans as "sea lice", w/o understanding the differences between these organisms and the "sea lice" found on salmon. It can be confusing for some.

And yes, SF - the effects of mass loading of sea lice from fish farms can be quite dramatic - as seen in the picture of the infected smolt.

This amount of motile lice has NEVER been recorded on juvies in non-farm areas, btw.

I think it’s time to take a stand and add another voice. I am disgusted with fish farms. Every last one of these sewer pens needs to be gone from our coast now. The opposition to this industry is only going to grow and if the politicians have a brain in their heads, they will drop their support of this industry before it really starts to cost them politically.
As for Sockeyefry, reminds me of the tobacco lobbyists who for decades told us with a straight face that there was no evidence that cigarettes were anything but good for you.

Back