80 cm Spring

Yes I knew that. It was a good bite in the morning off the cap and then it shut down. Did you find anything?
Only fished a couple hours. Mid tide, mid day. Typical fisheries, lots of marks with no takers. Still a nice solo afternoon.

Another question that comes up is tape vs board. The other day a buddy taped a fish at 84 cm, against the board it was 79.5 cm. I am sure the board measurement would satisfy the C an P officer.... but what about the tape on a marginal fish at the other end of the slot. If it is 62 cm with a tape it will be between 60 and 61 on a board. When folks are talking about calculating weights from measurements they are presumably also talking about taped length as girth needs to be taped.

Another question that comes up is tape vs board. The other day a buddy taped a fish at 84 cm, against the board it was 79.5 cm. I am sure the board measurement would satisfy the C an P officer.... but what about the tape on a marginal fish at the other end of the slot. If it is 62 cm with a tape it will be between 60 and 61 on a board. When folks are talking about calculating weights from measurements they are presumably also talking about taped length as girth needs to be taped.
for legal length, the fish needs to be layed flat on top of the tape and measured nose to fork in tail. measuring over the top of the fish with a tape along the curve of the fish will not give you the true length of the fish. Tape and board should give the same Nose Fork length if done properly.

CR Greg

for legal length, the fish needs to be layed flat on top of the tape and measured nose to fork in tail. measuring over the top of the fish with a tape along the curve of the fish will not give you the true length of the fish. Tape and board should give the same Nose Fork length if done properly.

CR Greg
Awesome.. thanks Greg. That makes sense. It is interesting that in some of the very old scientific literature the tape over the top of the fish was used. This necessitated coming up with correction factors in later years.

CR Greg
100 P Greg. Diameter, not Circumference.

Flip the fish over and you'll be surprised to see a different length on each side. Once getting checked for walleye, a fish was legal one side and just shy when flipped over. Wouldn't believe it if i didn't see it for myself.

Back