$7,000 in Fines for Rockfish Fishing

yammy5

$7,000 in Fines for Recreational Rockfish Fishing Violations

April 1, 2008

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vancouver, B.C. – A recreational fisher from Port Coquitlam was fined $3,000 in North Vancouver provincial court on January 10, 2008, after pleading guilty to exceeding the daily quota for rockfish and obstructing a fishery officer. The Court also prohibited Mr. Bo Qiang Huang from fishing or obtaining a fishing licence for five years.

In the same case, Mr. Xiao Ping Hua and Mrs. Ngan Chu Wong Chiu of Port Coquitlam were fined $2,000 each on January 10, 2008, after pleading guilty to exceeding the daily quota for rockfish. The Court also prohibited Mr. Huang and Mrs. Chiu from fishing or obtaining a fishing licence for one year.

On August 14, 2007, fishery officers observed Mr. Huang, Mr. Hua and Mrs. Chiu fishing from a vessel in West Vancouver. Mr. Huang emptied a cooler containing 45 rockfish into the water after being told repeatedly by fishery officers to put the cooler down. Due to the air bladders inside rockfish, the dead fish floated at the surface and were retrieved by fishery officers.

Recent monitoring and research programs have indicated that inshore rockfish stocks, especially in the Strait of Georgia, are at low levels. Rockfish can live to be well over 100 years old and many will not reproduce until they are 10 to 15 years old. Rockfish productivity is very low and they rarely survive after being caught and released.

DFO acts to end illegal fishing activity. As part of this work, the Department is asking the general public for information on activities of this nature or any contravention of the Fisheries Act and Regulations. Anyone with information can call the toll-free violation reporting line at 1-800-465-4336.

-30-

Seems like a small fine to me. Does anyone know, when a fine is levied if the money goes into fish enhancement or just general government revenues?

quote:Originally posted by Gerry

Seems like a small fine to me. Does anyone know, when a fine is levied if the money goes into fish enhancement or just general government revenues?

Ask your MP and then ask him how many fines have been collected over the last 3 years.
You will be very surprised with the answer.

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

quote:Originally posted by knucklebuster

I doubt they'll ever be paid.

Actually, if you don't pay a DFO fine, a warrant is issued for your arrest, it's not like a parking ticket.

Again, check out the outstanding money owed to DFO.

Here's one for ya about non payment.In aug last year i put out a hali spoon for salmon forgeting to pinch the barb,next thing you know there i am with a ticket for a barbed hook for 150$ which i'm not proud of but it happend.then In October Two fisheries officers come down to my boat tell me they want to arrest me for not having payed this ticket.I explain to them that i have not had a day off to go pay it so they let me go on my way and said the next time they see me if it wasn't paid they were going to take me in.Of course i payed it the next time i went home to vic for a couple days.So now thanksgiving day i'm up in the bush doing a little deer hunting and i get a call on my cell from my dad who said there were a couple of fish cops there and they wanted to talk to me ,long story short they were there to take me away again all for a 150$ ticket which was paid. So lets think two fish cops on a stat holiday looking for me it just cost us tax payers more than the ticket was even worth.SO why are'nt they going after the real criminals that owe real money.

I'll give you odds that group will be out fishing again within a few days. [V]

Tom

Back