2016 North Vancouver Firefighters Charity Fishing Fishing Derby

put size limits on all adverts and ticket stubs.. just an idea :)

It was my brother's Wellcraft that took on water. We're still not exactly sure where the water came from. There was a small leak where wires came out of hull and controlled trim tabs. But we think that the raw water hose was jammed open or something and water was coming in through there. I noticed a bit of water in the rear of the boat when coming back into the marina from Cap, but knew his bilge was acting up and assumed it was just all the rainwater that had collected there during the morning and the bilge just hadn't been operating. Thankfully the derby was over at 2. If it was 3, we would likely have been swimming at the mouth of the cap rather than fishing... My bro is at work today (firefighter) so hasn't had a chance to analyze problem. We're hoping the motors are still good as well as they were pretty much submerged too.

It was my brother's Wellcraft that took on water. We're still not exactly sure where the water came from. There was a small leak where wires came out of hull and controlled trim tabs. But we think that the raw water hose was jammed open or something and water was coming in through there. I noticed a bit of water in the rear of the boat when coming back into the marina from Cap, but knew his bilge was acting up and assumed it was just all the rainwater that had collected there during the morning and the bilge just hadn't been operating. Thankfully the derby was over at 2. If it was 3, we would likely have been swimming at the mouth of the cap rather than fishing... My bro is at work today (firefighter) so hasn't had a chance to analyze problem. We're hoping the motors are still good as well as they were pretty much submerged too.

I wasn't there to see it but...

Rule number 1: no bilge pump is always a bad idea... 2 bilge pumps is a better idea....with one rigged with a float switch on automatic all the time.

If those engines were submerged, get it out of the water, pull spark plugs immediately, check crankcase to see if full of water, if not, crank engines over to ensure the cylinders are clear and get those engines fired And let them run a long while...while spraying them down with a freshwater hose to get rid of salt water/residue ASAP!!!! Change oil and proceed to disconnect every piece of electrical, inspect and dry and clean up...get ready to fight electrical gremlins in the coming weeks and months.

I wasn't there to see it but...

Rule number 1: no bilge pump is always a bad idea... 2 bilge pumps is a better idea....with one rigged with a float switch on automatic all the time.

If those engines were submerged, get it out of the water, pull spark plugs immediately, check crankcase to see if full of water, if not, crank engines over to ensure the cylinders are clear and get those engines fired And let them run a long while...while spraying them down with a freshwater hose to get rid of salt water/residue ASAP!!!! Change oil and proceed to disconnect every piece of electrical, inspect and dry and clean up...get ready to fight electrical gremlins in the coming weeks and months.

Very good advice. Unfortunately once it's been dunked in saltwater the gremlins will probably be causing havoc for the rest of the boats days. Once the salt gets into the electrical system its a never ending battle.

Inverted my Honda 15hp while it was running 10 years ago when it was the main motor for my 11 footer. I did all the things FM mentions. There may have been some methyl hydrate involved as well. It's my kicker on the bigger boat now. No gremlins.

Back