1992 vintage AQ290DP Stern Drives -- end of life???

TenMile

Hey guys,

Looking at a 1992 vintage Commander, that has had a pair of AQ41D diesels replaced in the past 10 years which now have about 1000hrs each side. Boat seems to be reasonably well cared for, particularly mechanical components. Major item for concern are the two sterndrives. Both are 1992 vintage AQ 290-DP and likely have 3000+ hours on them and 22 years. Boat spends 6 months in salt, 6 months on a trailer for the past 10 years.

I understand from the PO that both drives have been rebuilt a couple of times including this past year, and he seems to suggest they have lots of life. The optimist in me wants to believe him, however, the realist in me is the guy who has to foot the repair bills.

We have plans to want to use this boat for some longer distance remote extended cruising/fishing. Reliability and peace of mind are important. I've owned a couple of Bravo III drives, but this would be my first ownership of VP drives.

What are thoughts on options?

- have them removed and completely inspected / R&R'd by a VP mechanic during survey?
- build cost of replacing with 2 new drives into my offer
- survey and sea trial, and if they seem ok -- be confident they will run for years?

My inner-mechanic seems to suggest that 22 years on a high wear item like a sterndrive is a pretty good run, but they are probably getting close to the end of their life? Thoughts?

3000 hours on those drives is huge. these drives are normally good for about 1000 hours. I would have a close look at the gear sets before buying them. also, 1000 hours on those engines is pushing it too.

Not a huge fan of Volvo Diesels,too expensive to rebuild for parts and factory support. If the drives were completely rebuilt and not just refreshed they may be ok...I would definitely want to see the receipts,talk to the rebuilder and get a very thorough survey done.
Too many "ifs" for me,but to each his own when it comes to boat style and useage.
There are lots of older boats out there that perform excellent for decades with good preventive work.

3000 hours on those drives is huge. these drives are normally good for about 1000 hours. I would have a close look at the gear sets before buying them. also, 1000 hours on those engines is pushing it too.

1000 hrs pushing it on a 41 series volvo diesel?? The later KAD volvos ran that same bottom end up to 300hp and those were good for an easy 5000 hours. If you don't get at minimum 5000 hours out of that 41 it's over propped or fuel filtration issues.

3000 hours is a lot for a set of drives but if they've been rebuilt recently, they might be alright. One thing to consider with those drives is that they don't make replacements any more and used ones are becoming scarce. If one of those drives goes, you might be looking at upgrading to a newer set all together which could dramatically effect the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pod it. twin 300 zukis.. just a dream of mine.

1000 hrs pushing it on a 41 series volvo diesel?? The later KAD volvos ran that same bottom end up to 300hp and those were good for an easy 5000 hours. If you don't get at minimum 5000 hours out of that 41 it's over propped or fuel filtration issues.

3000 hours is a lot for a set of drives but if they've been rebuilt recently, they might be alright. One thing to consider with those drives is that they don't make replacements any more and used ones are becoming scarce. If one of those drives goes, you might be looking at upgrading to a newer set all together which could dramatically effect the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

well, I have spent a few years at a Volvo shop rebuilding these units, but what would I know..

I find it surprising that you would have rebuilt a lot of these engines under 1000 hours given their reputation around the world. But I guess they're no cummins.

Back