1981 Campion Alert HT restore

ktown

Hello, brand new to the forum and a new to me boat owner.

I bought this boat with the intentions of fixing up the interior, motor is strong just needs a carb rebuild! and the leg was recently rebuilt.

My question is what kind of cost am I looking at to redo the floors/stringers and new upholstery?

Just an approximate cost of what I should be budgeting for would be great!

$_20.jpg
IMAG0615.jpg
IMAG0616.jpg
IMAG0617.jpg
IMAG0618.jpg

Also whats the best way to waterproof the canvas snap cover?

Thank you! I enjoy reading through this forum

Hey there. Nice boat. I have a similar Campion 17.5 alert HT. Mines the outboard model but basically the same style. Depending on how handy you are, you can look to spend a few hundred for materials or up to a few thousand for labor if you have to farm it out. Awsome boat when it's done.

image.jpg

Wow looks amazing Clint! I have limited experience with carpentry and zero experience with fibreglass, even though I am mechanically inclined and a perfectionist would trial by error be a bad idea?, You've done an ace job with the exterior of the boat! Thats the same model as mine, 17.5 is what is on the sticker.

I guess my best bet is finding a good backyard guy to work and learn with because shop rates for this kinda stuff is expensive, but I assume for good reason because it looks like a lot of work. Do you have interior pictures also?

Thanks for the tip!, I see Costco carries this product online for a good price.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

You could consider dumping the sleeper seats and go with swivel style. Depends on your preferences but the costs are likely lower and certainly more predictable vs taking it to an upholsterer. Also frees up floor space in a smaller boat.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I'm lucky and have a good friend who took care of the fiberglass and paint work. Boat was pretty sound to start with too. I stripped it down and sanded it to cut costs. If your fairly proficient with hand tools, reassembly is not too challenging. Rewarding too when you finish a project and can sit back and admire your handy work. If it's a boat you really love and will keep for ever take it to someone with experience but it will be expensive. Also as mentioned above, I went with a couple swivel seats on small storage boxs instead of sleepers as I think my boat would be a little crowded with 4 people. Had mine out in Renfrew and it handles wind and waves handily. What size motor in your boat? I'm running a Johnson 140hp and it's way more power than I need. Nice to have it though for when I feel like flying. My kickers a long shaft Yamaha 6hp and it's probably the perfect motor for my set up. No matter what you decide, good luck, keep us updated and welcome to the site.

Yes. Interior pics. I'll get some tomorrow. Also use the search function and try and find the "red hot for sale" thread. Same boat with no hardtop. Lots of good stuff done to it. I have a thread too "another new old boat" that shows mine when I got it.

It's got a Chevy 305, goes like hell! I've got a Johnson and mercury kicker both 9.8. I do like the swivel idea but I like the extra seating under the roof when the weather isn't ideal. It handles the chop pretty good, was on Okanagan a few times last week when the wind kicked up and it didn't feel unsafe...

Where did you get the rocket launcher rod holder's? It's exactly what I'm looking for as part of the rebuild.

I'm only worried about the stringers, I think it's outta my league but the floor I'm sure I can handle the rebuild and treatment of the wood

Here's those pictures I promised you.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Here's some pictures of my last few projects.

That's a removable radar reflector on the bottom.
Need to make another for the other side.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hard to see but there's a set of 15' out riggers on there.

image.jpg

image.jpg

You can see a camper top frame in the last pic. Not done yet but nearly.

Oh yeah here's my fish club. Not really a project but whatever. It's sent many fish to the great beyond.

image.jpg

Anyone else got pics of their fish bonkers? Let's see them if you do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back