1974 23 ft Hourston Project/Upgrade

Stevey

9.jpg 12.jpg Picked up this beauty a few months back. Previous owner made getting a new (old) boat a real pleasure. Was turnkey. Almost zero issues aside from a coolant leak. I decided to hit a log off Nanaimo at 20kts 6 weeks after initial ownership. I don't recommend it. After waiting months til any shop was free enough to undertake a repower project I'm finally there. Few additions and upgrades and remanufactured engine soon to be finished and installed. Missed the bulk of the summer but lots of glassy days in the winter. Im undercover and have a great heater. Bring on the cold!

Started with some mahogany running boards. Choose the planks from a good friend at The Wood Hub on Clark and Hastings. They specialize in reclaimed. These particular boards came from an old deck from a home in West Van. After running them through the planer a few times they came up nice. I scored in the water grooves but made mistakes along the way. Next round I'll get it right. They look good from far but are far from good. 8 coats of Wheelhouse varnish later. I decided on the runners because it did my head in listening to the sound of a bit sand or gravel between ones shoe and my gelcoat...…. OCD? Big time. They came up nice. I think every boat needs a bit of old wood.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 185
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 176
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 176
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 179
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 177
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 178
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 186
Then one fateful flat calm day I took her over to Nanaimo to see a mate. Off Harmac mill it was pretty loggy but manageable. Get to talking, speed is up, lost focus for a minute and when I looked out there it was. Tried to turn in time but no chance at 20 kts. Whammo. Dead in the water. 500$ something C-tow bill to Stones Boat yard ( I wouldn't recommend going there unless your boat might sink, which mine might have). U-joint grenade. Shredded the drive bellow and inner housing where it clamps onto. Thus need for new intermediate (bell) housing. Thus need for engine to be pulled.....Now the fun begins!
Ps- Boat was underinsured and wrote off. So from here on out its on my dime. Insurand covered the tow bill, getting it back from Nanaimo to Vancouver and 2 weeks in the boat yard (where absolutely nothing got done) This is why I went there with a trailer to rescue the old girl and bring her home.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 128
  • 4ABB9F57-331E-473A-85E9-D16AE69FB03D.jpeg
    4ABB9F57-331E-473A-85E9-D16AE69FB03D.jpeg
    259.5 KB · Views: 129
Hey Stevey, please pm me some interior pics, lov the boat bro, unfortunate about the log :( sorry mate.

When all redone......with yes a pod......and a biggin 250 or 300 Yammy you will have one hell of a boat.

Just remember B O A T ......... means Bring on another Thousand or Thousands....

Then one fateful flat calm day I took her over to Nanaimo to see a mate. Off Harmac mill it was pretty loggy but manageable. Get to talking, speed is up, lost focus for a minute and when I looked out there it was. Tried to turn in time but no chance at 20 kts. Whammo. Dead in the water. 500$ something C-tow bill to Stones Boat yard ( I wouldn't recommend going there unless your boat might sink, which mine might have). U-joint grenade. Shredded the drive bellow and inner housing where it clamps onto. Thus need for new intermediate (bell) housing. Thus need for engine to be pulled.....Now the fun begins!
Ps- Boat was underinsured and wrote off. So from here on out its on my dime. Insurand covered the tow bill, getting it back from Nanaimo to Vancouver and 2 weeks in the boat yard (where absolutely nothing got done) This is why I went there with a trailer to rescue the old girl and bring her home.
Sounds a bit like my Hourston story. I bought a well-used Hourston and had several seasons of maintaining more than fishing -- until a rough crossing of Queen Charlotte Strait, after which the cabin door wouldn't open [crew unhappy]. Stringers were powder and the boat was twisting in the waves. This led to an expensive rebuild - stripped to the hull, foam stringers, new interior, new Volvo D3 - and eventually a sweet, lower maintenance cruising and fishing boat. The diesel is twice as efficient as the old gas engine, and powers the stove/heater. You'll have a sweet boat when you're done.Hourston at Joe Cove 2015.jpg

Bankruptcy on a Trailer

better? lol wasnt trying to be nasty but in the world of boats you do end up taking it up there for almost everything... lol

Just messing with ya, all good... I do like the bankruptcy rather than the barrel, just don’t seem to hurt as much :)

Sounds a bit like my Hourston story. I bought a well-used Hourston and had several seasons of maintaining more than fishing -- until a rough crossing of Queen Charlotte Strait, after which the cabin door wouldn't open [crew unhappy]. Stringers were powder and the boat was twisting in the waves. This led to an expensive rebuild - stripped to the hull, foam stringers, new interior, new Volvo D3 - and eventually a sweet, lower maintenance cruising and fishing boat. The diesel is twice as efficient as the old gas engine, and powers the stove/heater. You'll have a sweet boat when you're done.View attachment 48236

That is a very nice looking boat, where did you buy the D3, was it new?

a bud of mine has a near brand new 300 yanmar for sale.

70651199_2941661275862340_1525231779747725312_n.jpg

a bud of mine has a near brand new 300 yanmar for sale.

I love that, awesome!

I don't mind doing that to one but would cry after 200 of them, lol

Sounds a bit like my Hourston story. I bought a well-used Hourston and had several seasons of maintaining more than fishing -- until a rough crossing of Queen Charlotte Strait, after which the cabin door wouldn't open [crew unhappy]. Stringers were powder and the boat was twisting in the waves. This led to an expensive rebuild - stripped to the hull, foam stringers, new interior, new Volvo D3 - and eventually a sweet, lower maintenance cruising and fishing boat. The diesel is twice as efficient as the old gas engine, and powers the stove/heater. You'll have a sweet boat when you're done.View attachment 48236
Nice shot. Gonna have to sort out a kicker situation too.....

Back