18lb balls on scotty depthpower Downriggers

the butcher

Thinking of using 18lb balls on my scotty 1106s. Can some tell me if the 1106s can handle 18lb balls? Is the retrieval rate noticeably slower than when using 15lb balls?

Also, I know someone who has 18 lb balls there are looking to sell for cheap. However, the balls don't have the fins. Ive always used finned balls and wonder if the round nonfinned balls will continually spin and add line twist to my braided downrigger line.

Thinking of using 18lb balls on my scotty 1106s. Can some tell me if the 1106s can handle 18lb balls? Is the retrieval rate noticeably slower than when using 15lb balls?

Also, I know someone who has 18 lb balls there are looking to sell for cheap. However, the balls don't have the fins. Ive always used finned balls and wonder if the round nonfinned balls will continually spin and add line twist to my braided downrigger line.
I use 18's and have done so for the last 7 years at least. Have had no issues. A bit slower for sure coming up but only noticeable when fish streak to the boat or when your buddy has popped the pin setting tension for the 5th time in a row.
Where are the balls located? I've fishing finned and round balls and have always gone back to the round balls, never had an issue there either. If anything find I have a bit less blowback

I emailed Scotty last year asking this. Here is how they replied:

"We factory test Depthpower downriggers with 20# weights. We generally recommend a maximum cannonball weight of 15#. You can use 18# weights but I would consider an HP downrigger in the future if you continually use heavier weights"

So sounds to me like you can but maybe shouldn't at all times.

The HP riggers aren't a replacement for the Depthpower series, they're a separate model designed for larger cannonballs, 15 lb and up. Just try using a lighter ball on an HP rigger and you'll see - brakes need to be backed off from factory settings.

To reinforce this, Scotty continues to make the 1100 series. Yes there is some crossover, and yes you can make them work on heavier balls. But use the right tool for the application and you'll get a better result. If you're consistently using 15 lb ball or heavier, and/or regularly fishing deep, the HP series is the better tool.

Last edited:
Back