‘Substantial’ chinook restrictions likely needed, says former fisheries minister

‘Substantial’ chinook restrictions likely needed, says former fisheries minister
Carla Wilson
Former federal fisheries minister David Anderson expects that “substantial restrictions” in catch will be needed to save chinook salmon along the West Coast.

“Restricting catch is about the only real mechanism we have,” said Anderson, who in the late 1990s imposed a zero- mortality policy for coho salmon.

article continues below

“It’s unfortunate that is the only real tool we have, but that’s a fact of life.”

The coho experience showed that stock recovery can be quite swift, Anderson said.

“We did very well, very quickly,” he said. “You need four years because that is the cycle.”

Canada’s current fisheries minister, Jonathan Wilkinson, is expected to announce strict catch limitations as research indicates chinook stocks are in trouble. Wilkinson is speaking today at a Greater Victoria Chamber of Commerce luncheon.

Wilkinson is coming up against B.C.’s sport-fishing sector, backed by the Island’s chambers of commerce, fighting for some sort of compromise that will protect salmon and still allow some to be caught.

Chinook are economically valuable to coastal communities where a range of businesses serve the sport-fishing sector, involving both local residents and tourists.

Chinook are beloved by anglers because they are the largest of all B.C. salmon and are an exciting, fighting fish to catch.

Chinook are also the favoured food of the endangered southern resident killer whales.

Fishing cutbacks, supported by conservationists, to feed orcas were imposed last year and now the federal government is looking at the upcoming chinook season.

“I say this with regret, but I think we are going to have to have very substantial restrictions on catch. It’s one thing you’ve got that you can control,” said Anderson, who was fisheries minister from 1997 to 1999. He subsequently served as environment minister from 1999 to 2004.

Changing natural conditions are another factor, Anderson said. “With climate change, it may be that we are fighting a very difficult uphill and potentially impossible battle. I don’t know. Climate change is making such a difference.”

A 2018 report by the Department of Fisheries and Oceans spelled out the situation: “Large-scale patterns of environmental change and increased environmental variability have been associated with broad declines in productivity of chinook salmon across their range in recent decades.”

The bulk of chinook salmon populations returning to B.C. waters face grim prospects. The Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada determined that 12 Fraser River-bound chinook populations are either endangered, threatened or of special concern. Another group heading to the Nanaimo River is also endangered.

That committee is expected to include these assessments in its annual report to the federal government this fall. That report starts a process to determine if those populations will be listed under our Species at Risk Act. Anderson spearheaded the Species at Risk Act when he had the environment portfolio.

If a species is categorized as endangered under the act, “then the government is required to put together a recovery plan and that is where we get into issues affecting the fishing interest,” Anderson said. Being listed as a species at risk is “not automatic, but it is pretty close to it when COSEWIC puts up its recommendation.”

The biological cycle is paramount and economic interests have to come second, he said.

Many chinook caught off the west coast of Vancouver Island are fish from Puget Sound rivers, he said, noting that Canada has to co-operate with the U.S.

Well the Liberals are chucking big dollars at bc voters, no surprise. But it won’t save them if they close Chinook fishing completely. Also how much of the money goes to fish versus the typical liberal ploy of hiring voters. They’re famous for it and it appears they’re up to it again. I know it’s kind of looking a gift horse in the mouth but let’s hope the money is spent on increasing Chinook stocks

Pandering for votes and the majority of the money will go into “more studies” and friends of the party. Any sport fishing restrictions are useless if other sectors don’t play ball as well....painful. Continue to collect data....river enhancements and hatcheries where it makes sense and any restrictions need to be shared across all sectors. Areas of problematic seals and sea lions need to be corrected and see where we are in a 4 year cycle. Otherwise all the money will be spent on the big machine of politics and nothing else. Regardless of who’s in power they need to for once do what makes sense for the future and not just for this October’s lie fest.

WTF is he talking about...quick coho recovery? 23 years later and Thompson coho are still no better off than when he imposed restrictions. Maybe he got an early start on legalized cannabis.

WTF is he talking about...quick coho recovery? 23 years later and Thompson coho are still no better off than when he imposed restrictions. Maybe he got an early start on legalized cannabis.
Maybe he is speaking of when coho was enhanced for Expo. Those fish were around for a few cycles.
Question. Was Anderson not the minister who brought in the wild salmon policy?

They are dragging out the former Liberal Fisheries Minister Anderson to toss some trial balloons out there and soften the blow of the impending announcements...that's usually what they do. Drag out their supporters to help sell the message.

I agree with some of this in principal just an giving distance between whales and operators, but there is that line again. Interesting the same garbage NGO line that WW association kept adopting is now being turned back on them.

Unfortunately, all that attention is making it difficult for them to feed when they are literally starving.

Oh wait Scott Wallace is senior research scientist at the David Suzuki Foundation. Oh look another one Michael Jasny is director of marine mammal protection at the Natural Resources Defense Council.

I don't agree with banning whale watching. I agree with giving whales room, but as usual our NGO friends are going to take it too the extreme.

Interesting why is a US based NGO raising this issue with David Suzuki Foundation in a Canadian Paper. mmmmm.

Last edited:
They are dragging out the former Liberal Fisheries Minister Anderson to toss some trial balloons out there and soften the blow of the impending announcements...that's usually what they do. Drag out their supporters to help sell the message.
This post coming from you sounds like you anticipate very bad news? Maybe not to follow any of the recommendations from all you guys who have worked so hard on behalf of the rest of us?

I know it is not done yet but wen I see it coming from you I get worried.

Hope I am reading tooooo much into your post out of my own fear of what is coming?

Thanks for all the effort From the group!!!! It is appreciated!!!!!!!!

This post coming from you sounds like you anticipate very bad news? Maybe not to follow any of the recommendations from all you guys who have worked so hard on behalf of the rest of us?

I know it is not done yet but wen I see it coming from you I get worried.

Hope I am reading too much into your post out of my own fear of what is coming?

Thanks for all the effort From the group!!!! It is appreciated!!!!!!!!

The DFO rep at our meeting said it seems like to them the department(upper brass) is trying to reduce the recreational fishery in all aspects. They seems to be an opinion that the public fishery takes far more than is being captured by surveys or not being account for (shellfish). The response they are getting from the environmental groups is being taken very seriously.

I heard one of the things that spearheaded the glass sponge reef closures was an ENGO group had a picture of a downrigger ball embedded into a glass sponge reef with a flasher on the end.

Last edited:
Reasons, not political.

Not a threat to political party’s.

No lobbyists in Ottawa.

No money.

The DFO rep at our meeting said it seems like to them the department(upper brass) is trying to reduce the recreational fishery in all aspects. They seems to be an opinion that the public fishery takes far more than is being captured by surveys or not being account for (shellfish). The response they are getting from the environmental groups is being taken very seriously.

Reasons, not political.

Not a threat to political party’s.

No lobbyists in Ottawa.

No money.
Sums up the fractured rec community - we won't amount to anything unless we can come together. Pretty sad state of affairs. The ENGO's are easily winning the public relations war...and they are not our friends!

I missed one, a site that ALL anglers can go to for information and it requires discussion areas.

Further, it has to require that ALL must use their real names.

ID from fishing license?

Sums up the fractured rec community - we won't amount to anything unless we can come together. Pretty sad state of affairs. The ENGO's are easily winning the public relations war...and they are not our friends!

Back