Zip Ties to Anchor when Hali Fishing

went out on the weekend and tryed our anchor setup with 2 white zap straps worked great had a good one on while on anchor and got tangled in another line and lost it somehow--we decided to drift as the wind settled for a while and the tide wasnt bad and we picked up 2 -40 -50 -- anyways we will try anchoring again will bring large tub to put line in (tangles)- and rig up a line from bow to stern as its a little dicey switching from front to back to pull - (lot of tension on the line fingers getting in the bite-of cleat ) the pull went great with a large buoy and 4" inch ring-- 22' welded alum

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys,

Just have a question as I've heard two different opinions on it. Should the rope you have from your scotchman to your ring be stronger or weaker than your main line, it makes sense to me to be stronger as thats one of the last things you want breaking, but someone told me the other day weaker, didn't make sense to me but maybe I'm all crossed up haha.

Also, when you freeze, say salmon, does it lose its scent?? Or can you freeze fresh salmon and still be good to go for bait for hali when you thaw it? Thanksss :)

I don't use a piece of rope. I use a SS spring hook with a threaded lock to keep the latch from opening. This is attached to a shackle on the Scotsman at one end and to to ring on the other. I've used frozen salmon bellies when it was all I had with no problems. I prefer to use fresh bellies that have sat out to ripen a bit for 24hrs. Up at Nootka we let the day before bellies sit out in a bucket and use them the next morning, nice and stinky but not rotten stinky.

BTW this allows you to take the Scotsman off the main line quickly when your hauling it all aboard. I take mine off once it bottoms out at the chain and get it out of my way to haul the chain and anchor aboard.

Reviving an old thread here but I was curious about the zip ties.
I have campion explorer 622 WA (23.5ft 2700 lbs dry weight so with motor fuel an gear maybe 4250lbs).
So if I run zip ties or zap straps as a break away how many 120lb straps should I use? I am running a 13lb Mantus anchor.

I will do some testing in a couple weekends but was curious as a bit of a starting point.

Thanks,
Mike

Better idea... use a slip ring anchor, no ties/zips anchor does what its designed to do. Much safer and same purchase price.

HM

Steve do what I do with this set up if you want to go thru anchors do the strap thing but you dont need to!!!!!!! slap a shackle on it as then your pulling away from the rock etc if you ever do get stuck trick is to try and pull the same way as it set your GPS will show that for you. here is a pic for you of what I do and I get lodged in rock all the time broke both of them off today normally only break about 5 or 6 times a year not bad really, And yep use the big ones

Good luck Wolf

i do the same thing but have tension on the chain between the shackle and the zap strap, that way the zap isnt taking the load until you are above the anchor (chain pulling straight up 90 degrees to anchors beam)

i do the same thing but have tension on the chain between the shackle and the zap strap, that way the zap isnt taking the load until you are above the anchor (chain pulling straight up 90 degrees to anchors beam)

That sounds smart to me!! Guy could probably get away with a lighter zap strap!!

I just had a debate with my bro about this topic last week. He prefers large zap straps. I prefer to use the green all purpose marine rope ( I think it is called ganyon cable?) I tie a small section six times around the anchor eye and then 4 wraps through the chain link, then if the anchor sticks, it breaks and is still attached to the anchor system and I am not dumping plastic that is made in china in my favourite fishing hole/bump. I know a zap strap is not a lot of garbage, but any garbage in our ocean system is too much.
My boat is about 5800lbs and the ganyon cable holds great.

The ganyon is really hard to break. 6 wraps would take a ton of force, we found out the hard way on a hung up anchor....

Agreed 6 would take a ton of force. That's why we do 6 wraps around the anchor eye and 4 wraps around the anchor chain. It's the 4 wrap section that breaks and the six wrap section holds the left over cable.3 was breaking to easy for us. Every boat is obviously different so this allows you to fine tune and prevent garbage in the sea. Start light and find out what works for you

The ganyon is really hard to break. 6 wraps would take a ton of force, we found out the hard way on a hung up anchor....

good advice, tried to break ganyon before and forget about it, maybe one or 2 wraps but anymore and that anchor is going to bend before the ganyon snaps. I've also used too light of zap straps and broken off just from current, so you gotta find the right balance.

It doesn't seem like a big deal until you're off race rocks and the current is building fast, the ball starts going deeper and deeper under water and you're pulling from the stern trying to get it unstuck. Sh*t can go sideways VERY fast in that situation and you start thinking that cutting the line is the best option. Anchor enough times and sooner or later you'll scare the crap outta yourself.

Back