Zip Ties to Anchor when Hali Fishing

Here's a new idea for Scotty to come out with a new product! They can call it the "break away anchor safety lock" It stays attached to the anchor and when the safety latch is broken it can be reused over and over again...
have different sizes to match the size of boats... Their ya go a new product for Scotty Plastics to make !

This is a great idea. Does anyone use twine or small rope for this? Just not super keen on leaving plastic in the ocean every time I pull the anchor up.

I have yet to break one yet. You certainly won't break it every time, unless your not pulling your anchor properly.

Helps a lot wolf, thanks so much! How many zap straps do you think are necessary for a boat of the size I'm using, 31ft and about 13000lbs fully loaded with guests and gas etc etc.

Like I said ive only broken maybe 4 this year there pretty strong just go with 1 and see then double up and go from there in time you will figure it out but make sure you put a shackle on that one end then you wont loose and anchor , you will be fine ...

Wolf

oh come on guys it isn't rocket science here do you want wolf to come over personally to do it for you, it would be faster, 3 pages of what kind of zap straps to use. do you need your hand held on every thing

This is a forum.. it is meant to discuss any thing, simple to complicated matters and share knowledge and help one another out. One should never be afraid to ask a question.

:confused:
oh come on guys it isn't rocket science here do you want wolf to come over personally to do it for you, it would be faster, 3 pages of what kind of zap straps to use. do you need your hand held on every thing

Ouch! What crawled up your a$$? You know, you don't have to read the threads that don't interest you.

You could always use Duct Tape like some of the other guys I know. Last Chance you don't have any problems with it as I recall. It's cheap and its quick to change when needed. I am set up with with the Nytyies myself, but I will be going to the tape!
Step in and give an insight here Kelly.

Yup it is a Forum about Fishing, Sport Fishing B.C., so check out how many pages there are about Hockey!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its about safety springtime. A lot of things can go wrong when anchored up and it comes down to details and know as much about it as you can, if you don't understand that I feel sorry for you or anyone else who jumps aboard your boat. Too many/strong of zaps and she doesn't break and u got urself an issue should the anchor stick, too few and you'll drag and another issue. Its all about the details to safety, I want to make sure all my guests know I've put my time into ensuring I do things as safe as possible for them while still producing a lot of fish, nothing funny about that Chad (richmake)

I have been using zap straps on my river anchor and I was snaping them evey pull I even snaped 3 at on time. I welded a bar the goes from the back to the front of the anchor that I have a shackle that slides on the bar with the chain hooked to that. So now every pull the shackle slides to the front for an easy lift and when the anchor is being pulled to the surface the shackle slides back to the rear end of the anchor. It makes it easier to pull and no more screwing with zap straps.

Its about safety springtime. A lot of things can go wrong when anchored up and it comes down to details and know as much about it as you can, if you don't understand that I feel sorry for you or anyone else who jumps aboard your boat. Too many/strong of zaps and she doesn't break and u got urself an issue should the anchor stick, too few and you'll drag and another issue. Its all about the details to safety, I want to make sure all my guests know I've put my time into ensuring I do things as safe as possible for them while still producing a lot of fish, nothing funny about that Chad (richmake)

Still hilarious chatter
But what else do I expect from a liberal voter
You need bigger shoulders for this forum
Everytime somebodies gets a little crack in on you you get all bent out of shape
You most always bring it on yourself
Just get over it
I don't mean any I'll will towards you just having a little fun
And yes .... Safety is always first

Last edited by a moderator:
You could always use Duct Tape like some of the other guys I know. Last Chance you don't have any problems with it as I recall. It's cheap and its quick to change when needed. I am set up with with the Nytyies myself, but I will be going to the tape!
Step in and give an insight here Kelly.

Yup it is a Forum about Fishing, Sport Fishing B.C., so check out how many pages there are about Hockey!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I usually use a few wraps of 1/8 inch line, but the Duct Tape works good too! One day my line broke, and I had to resort to the handyman's secret wepon, and out it came.

Serengeti, use two of the big plastic ones, you won't break 'em. I use 1/8 twine or duct tape, and it holds me fine in Renfrew swells. I'm cheap so I use whatever I have laying around. I know of a guy with a 33 foot Searay that uses zip ties, no problem.

Besides on a 30 footer like yours, things are going to break before you get something that will pull the boat down. I'll bet your zip line, or cleat would let go first. It's when someone gets a brand new anchor and chucks it off the back of a 17' eagle on a good Ebb tide off the Race that there are problems. You know your way around the water, just use your best judgement and instincts, yes, it's serious business, but at the end of the day it's just a freaking anchor.

I can think of one time in 5 years that my anchor got hung up enough to use the breakaway when pulling, when using a Bruce anchor, I'm not so sure it's even needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey serengeti I'll bet you I have better qualifications then you and more sea time. safety and my crew always come first. it was meant as a joke that people almost wanted the serial number of wolfs zap straps. if you can't take it then pound sand

I went for the zap strap method with the heavy duty 120lb ones...haven't broken it off yet, but hope if I get an anchor stuck it'll release and get me out of there.

Seems to me that anchors are pretty cheap and anchor rope is super expensive! If anchor was stuck and had to exert enough force to break off....seems you'd rather lose your anchor rather than break your rope. So maybe if you wanted to build in a weak link for both safety and economics ... you'd want your anchor shackle to be slightly weaker than the breaking strength of your rope?

Qualifications maybe, maybe not, sea time, sure u have me beat.

Thanks last chance, next week am going to go nail some hogs should the weather hold :D. Will report back with results. First charter on 3rd as well.

HEY im personally am all about people including me being safe when fishing especially anchoring so asking questions is better than the alternative , Do what ever you like thats everyones "CHOICE' in life but if you get into danger and something happens well again your "CHOICE"

ON this forum there are aot of people who have been there done that and made alot of mistakes!!! we are all human hell ive made lots myself but if anyone of us can make a Contribution and save someone grief then whats the harm??? nothing.

Hope it all goes well for you Dave and have fun fishing i miss it alot up there...

Good luck Wolf

I like the duct tape LC, unreel. I had to use electrical tape once.

If you anchor at the Race in the rock, you wont get it back unless the ties break! We use up to Three large 150lb ties at times. You have to jerk them loose, but if you dont use three the swing will break them and you will drag anchor into the deep.

That said, sometimes you dont get anything back. Had to leave my setup out and fly off with a family emergency in the fitters derby, another guide went to get it in the morning....gone! Someone has a new setup, I really do hope i don`t see it in a boat, or in use one day. A few distinct features you get to know after having it 10 years. I dredged for it, and its not there! Maybe it a yachts Wheel en route to Alaska?

Back