Zincs and groundwire

No grease on zincs period. Just clean the contact areas well (I use Muriatic Acid) on zincs and stainless. Or use stainless brush on zincs. Plain steel brushes may contaminate zincs with ferrous metals.

I've had my Thunderjet Chinook OS for four years now and have never changed the zinc on the lower transom. Although I inspect it every time I go out. I bought a new one, teardrop type, but have never had to install it. I never keep the boat at a marina, other than a few days on the creek in Port Renfrew, and wash/flush it with fresh water after EVERY use. Both the motor zincs are showing signs of powder formation on them but I haven't had to change them either, just a good cleaning with a SS wire brush. BTW - the boat has 106 hours on it as of July 27th, 2015 and I use braided line on my downriggers.

Does this sound normal?

If you aren't in the water for long periods they won't sacriifce as fast. Just keep them brushed and replace when down to 50% of new.

You should be just fine, my ride is moored 24/7, 106 hours that's like 4-5 days sounds like you've got years of usage out of those zincs.
Cheers

I've had my Thunderjet Chinook OS for four years now and have never changed the zinc on the lower transom. Although I inspect it every time I go out. I bought a new one, teardrop type, but have never had to install it. I never keep the boat at a marina, other than a few days on the creek in Port Renfrew, and wash/flush it with fresh water after EVERY use. Both the motor zincs are showing signs of powder formation on them but I haven't had to change them either, just a good cleaning with a SS wire brush. BTW - the boat has 106 hours on it as of July 27th, 2015 and I use braided line on my downriggers.

Does this sound normal?

Thanks guys, I hope to be working less in the near future and enjoying the boat a lot more!! Trolling time isn't included in that 106 hrs by the way

Last edited by a moderator:
Back