Z-Wing Downrigger System

Slabby20

Has anybody ever seen or used one of these before? What do you think? I have to admit they look interesting.

http://www.zwingdownrigger.com/index.htm

DSCN4812-2-1.jpg

They compare it to a 5lb ball at 4 knots. Who fishes a 5lb ball and who fishes 4 knots for salmon? Still look kinda cool though

I wonder what kind of downward pressure it puts on the rigger motor coming up though? And what happens when you are say working at a kelp bed at 1 knot, does it just flutter and not dive?

quote:who fishes 4 knots for salmon
Lots on the west coast

I havent heard of many guys fishing 4 knots or more even offshore aside from coho or bucktailing.I dont think i fished above 2.5 once this year. when do you fish 4+knots

Alot of guy's are fishing Pelagics off of downriggers down south.
They can troll 4 knots easy sometimes...not always.
This might come in handy for a few of those boy's.
I'll tell you one thing...their ain't nothing like having your bonito swimming off your downrigger get obliterated by a huge tuna or marlin....it's awesome!

www.coastwidesportsfishing.com

I troll between 3-3.2 knots for springs and coho in Sooke. It seems to work well. Though I have always based this on the fact im using spoons and hootchies. I dont troll with bait and produce the same number of fish as those using bait. Speed seems to be very important on some days, some days it just doesent seem to matter.

-Steve

quote:I dont think i fished above 2.5 once this year. when do you fish 4+knots
ya but correct me if I'm wrong you fish on the inside mid island don't ya Kelly?

If I'm fishing plugs I start at about 3.5 knots and I'll go as fast as 6 knots and catch plenty of big springs.

I still wonder how much pressure they actually put on the line and rigger?

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

quote:I dont think i fished above 2.5 once this year. when do you fish 4+knots
ya but correct me if I'm wrong you fish on the inside mid island don't ya Kelly?

If I'm fishing plugs I start at about 3.5 knots and I'll go as fast as 6 knots and catch plenty of big springs.

I still wonder how much pressure they actually put on the line and rigger?

Never mind the pressure on the rigger, at $75 bucks a pop plus delivery, the pressure on the wallet is a little too much for me.

Poppa yes i have only fished for teeners on the inside within 5 miles of my house:D:D But seriously i havent fished plugs offshore and hadnt heard of guys hittin springs at 6 knots. We fished and most guys we saw were fishin 2-3 knots offshore.

Back