Your opinion?

A lot of hatcherys don't mark their coho due to funding restrictions.

I just got back from two weeks in Bamfield. From this years, and past years trips I would say next to nobody actually obeys the wild release regs. Everybody you see in the wild release area is bonking small fish you know aren't springs. They simply keep them, then return to the dock and say they caught them inside Aguilar point if asked.

I asked a some guys at the cleaning table a couple of days ago how they caught so many Coho and Halibut inside Aguilar point. They weren't too impressed with my comments. Then I suggested they cut the adipose fins off the Coho they were cleaning as they weren't supposed to have them from offshore. They didn't seem too impressed with that either.

I always release wild Coho caught in the out of bounds areas outside Bamfield. From my experiences there I would say that only a small percentage of the people over there actually comply with the wild release areas. Sad, but true.

quote:Originally posted by TheBigGuy

I just got back from two weeks in Bamfield. From this years, and past years trips I would say next to nobody actually obeys the wild release regs. Everybody you see in the wild release area is bonking small fish you know aren't springs. They simply keep them, then return to the dock and say they caught them inside Aguilar point if asked.

I asked a some guys at the cleaning table a couple of days ago how they caught so many Coho and Halibut inside Aguilar point. They weren't too impressed with my comments. Then I suggested they cut the adipose fins off the Coho they were cleaning as they weren't supposed to have them from offshore. They didn't seem too impressed with that either.

I always release wild Coho caught in the out of bounds areas outside Bamfield. From my experiences there I would say that only a small percentage of the people over there actually comply with the wild release areas. Sad, but true.

All of the Washington Coast at the time of the pic was closed to wild Coho harvest. Area 4 US is a non-native Coho retention area, I'm not sure why a BC area was posted. I also looked in the Canadian regs, I believe Blue Dot, if anywhere overlapping would lie in 125 which also is a non-native retention area. Not "flaming" anyone, just trying to understand why other's down here in Wa. are keeping natives when I wasn't aware you could. Sekiu MA 5 does have a wild opening going on right now that began on the 15th, but that's the only one I'm aware of.

It would actually be 121-3, or 121-2 if it were on the Canadian side, =closed to wild Coho. Again, area four, Neah Bay US is CLOSED to wilds also.

I sent the following message to Tom at Salmon University and got the response that follows. Some good has come from this topic!

As a regular contributor to the fishing reports, I thought you would be interested in this discussion about a picture/coho that was displayed on the web site. Most anglers here in Canada think that it is an illegally retained wild coho salmon. Perhaps it would be best to require anglers to clearly show in their picture, before posting, whether the fish is a hatchery marked fish. Tom
>
> http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7549

Hi Tom,
Thanks very much for bringing this to our attention. We try not to print pictures like that but some sneak past. Our webmaster blew the picture up and we agree that it was a wild Coho. We immediately took the picture down and informed the angler. Thanks again for alerting us and for your always excellent fishing reports. Tom Nelson

I sent the following message to Tom at Salmon University and got the response that follows. Some good has come from this topic!

As a regular contributor to the fishing reports, I thought you would be interested in this discussion about a picture/coho that was displayed on the web site. Most anglers here in Canada think that it is an illegally retained wild coho salmon. Perhaps it would be best to require anglers to clearly show in their picture, before posting, whether the fish is a hatchery marked fish. Tom
>
> http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7549

Hi Tom,
Thanks very much for bringing this to our attention. We try not to print pictures like that but some sneak past. Our webmaster blew the picture up and we agree that it was a wild Coho. We immediately took the picture down and informed the angler. Thanks again for alerting us and for your always excellent fishing reports. Tom Nelson

I am not familiar with the practices of Washington hatcheries but think there are quite a few Non-Clipped Coho/ Silvers that either slip by or are released on purpose. In Oregon there are whole runs that are not native that are treated as native. I support legislation that is realistic that defines the parameters and is enforced. When there are sketchy rules everyone suffers. I hope that future regulations are strictly enforced and make sense. If the sign says 55 ,everyone is going 85 and no one is getting any tickets there is a problem. Enforce the laws on the books!

I am not familiar with the practices of Washington hatcheries but think there are quite a few Non-Clipped Coho/ Silvers that either slip by or are released on purpose. In Oregon there are whole runs that are not native that are treated as native. I support legislation that is realistic that defines the parameters and is enforced. When there are sketchy rules everyone suffers. I hope that future regulations are strictly enforced and make sense. If the sign says 55 ,everyone is going 85 and no one is getting any tickets there is a problem. Enforce the laws on the books!

it's dead doesn't matter at the moment whether it's wild or not.;)

it's dead doesn't matter at the moment whether it's wild or not.;)

Back