Your favorite hootchies...

M

Mortician

Hey.

Was thinking...

What are your favorite hootchies for winter feeders?

for me...it's a classic 4.5 inch Purple Haze (the OAL one)

For Mature Springs?

A Moby Dick WHITE hootchy.

I'd like to hear what other people like...

A Tiger Prawn by Radiant for feeders and a Glow Alligator Magnum also from Radiant lures for Mature Salmon. eman

Alligator and a lime green/glow with a black stripe and spots. Has yielded a 20 pound winter and 50 pound summer king. 31" of leader between it and flasher.

Alligator Magnum (6") put us on two 30 pound (summer) kings back to back.

Purple haze I cannot find. A guy that makes hootchies down here sells the purrple haze with a small B-2 glow squid inside of it. His feed back is its the hot go to lure.

I also have a Mint Tulip- I used to read about it in BC posts. You can get it at tyeetackle.com. Never tried it. Has a light blue glow head and clear tentacles. Anyone tried it?

quote:Originally posted by Fishinnut

Alligator and a lime green/glow with a black stripe and spots. Has yielded a 20 pound winter and 50 pound summer king. 31" of leader between it and flasher.

Alligator Magnum (6") put us on two 30 pound (summer) kings back to back.

Purple haze I cannot find. A guy that makes hootchies down here sells the purrple haze with a small B-2 glow squid inside of it. His feed back is its the hot go to lure.

I also have a Mint Tulip- I used to read about it in BC posts. You can get it at tyeetackle.com. Never tried it. Has a light blue glow head and clear tentacles. Anyone tried it?

That mint tulip is dynamite for feeders. I have a friend who had bought a pack of the mint tulip needlefish, and then he retied the leader with 50 lb test and a 4/0 hook. He cut down the needlefish to s shorter length. Just mimicks the smaller baitfish. He used to commercial troll and with the 4/0 hook he would just haul 'em over the stern. It was great! Ever seen a guy limit out in 10 minutes? I have, we were fishing out of Sooke and Mike did just that. Meanwhile..I put my rods back down and went the rest of the trip without a hit on my speckled frogs... :(

What other hootchies? I like the armytruck...there's another old salt that fishes with gold hootchty...and I've heard about these...they're kinda translucent... any ideas?

I have a friend that slays kings at Westport with the gold hootchy. I bought a pack of them and have yet to catch a single fish on one. I finally gave them to him. For some reason Army truck is a color that doesn't appeal to me and I don't use it like I should. I actually always forget about it. It is very productive when I remember to get one out. I have some that are the 6" ones that can work very well too.

I will give that Mint Tulip a try, but it is a 6" and not sure if that is too big or not. Good to hear it really does work. Another one I used to read about a lot was one called J-79. Anyone know what that one was? Also Blood and Bone. That is white with a red stripe.

Funniest thing is you are going to catch the most fish with what you fish with the most.

quote:Originally posted by Fishinnut

I have a friend that slays kings at Westport with the gold hootchy. I bought a pack of them and have yet to catch a single fish on one. I finally gave them to him. For some reason Army truck is a color that doesn't appeal to me and I don't use it like I should. I actually always forget about it. It is very productive when I remember to get one out. I have some that are the 6" ones that can work very well too.

I will give that Mint Tulip a try, but it is a 6" and not sure if that is too big or not. Good to hear it really does work. Another one I used to read about a lot was one called J-79. Anyone know what that one was? Also Blood and Bone. That is white with a red stripe.

Funniest thing is you are going to catch the most fish with what you fish with the most.

yeah..the J79...kinda greyish blackish with some glitter...with an off white colour...looks kinda like a herring

I'd love to get inside a commercial fisherman's gear locker and see what they have going on...

I've used a mint tulip behind a purple hot spot for years. Won a small derby in '97 with that combo.
Also had lots of luck with one called 'Fuddle Duddle'

TOO funny there fins because I hardly ever fish them LOL He sure likes them though I just cant bring myself to use them much!!!!!! saying that the ones I do use are mostly the purple haze ones and then the little red ones for sockeye that have the little glow in the dark head on them.

Now up in knights inlet when we used to start up in april when we saw the springs with olician in there guts we would use a hoochie up there that could pass as the best x-mas ornament it was bright gold with sparkles in it a very ugly hoochie but hey it worked sometimes outfishing bait so now YOU ALL know my secrets LOL LOL

Good luck Wolf

Jelly fish ,purple haze ,small white squirt with red eye [not no name]. the J 79 is a killer in Sidney needle fish time.

Rick

I got one for you. If you ever fish the coastal rivers, you gotta try this. Get the really dark purple 4-4 1/4" hootchy. It its on the wall in a pack it almost looks black. Next get a 3/8" ounce leadhead jig. I like the bullet head. Push the bullet jig up in the hootchy and cut a little hole to let the eye pop through to tie it too.

Go find a good king hole. Cast that above and slow jig it through it. Only lit it up and down about a foot slowly. Damndest thing I have ever seen. Big Kings will slam it! I have caught kings up to 35 pounds on it. For some reason it doesn't really work on our inland rivers here very well.

You will be amazed. I learned that out on the peninsula here in Washington. It is a well guarded secret amoung the locals out there. I hardly ever fish rivers, though.

quote:Originally posted by knucklebuster

I've used a mint tulip behind a purple hot spot for years. Won a small derby in '97 with that combo.
Also had lots of luck with one called 'Fuddle Duddle'

Back