You aint gonna believe this!

Cuba Libre

MP announces three projects to receive federal Fisheries funding

Dan MacLennan

Courier-Islander

Friday, January 09, 2009

A new method of using shellfish, kelp and bottom feeders to reduce fish farm waste is among three projects to receive federal Fisheries funding.

Courtenay-based Kyuquot SEAfoods Ltd. will receive $250,000 to develop its Sea-System Infrastructure Innovation Project, Vancouver Island North MP John Duncan announced in Campbell River Thursday.

"This will result in a potential new and environmentally-friendly food source for other aquaculture species and it will reduce the amount of such waste on the ocean floor," Duncan said at a news conference in the BC Centre for Aquatic Health Sciences.

Kyuquot SEAfoods president and CEO Dr. Stephen Cross said a 'sea tram' beneath fish farms will support tiers of oysters, cockles, mussels and scallops below net pens to feed on the waste the pens produce. Dissolved nutrients like nitrates and ammonia will be absorbed by a kelp component while sea cucumbers and sea urchins would feed on solid waste that falls to the ocean floor below the net pens.

"We anticipate to be able to grow in the order of 70 to 100 metric tonnes of shellfish at a small salmon farm or fish site per year using this type of system," he said.

Meanwhile, the BC Centre for Aquatic Health Sciences will receive $250,000 for a number of projects including one to develop tests determining the readiness of smolts to enter salt water. Another project will seek a test to rapidly detect the Infectious Hematopoietic Necrosis (IHN) virus which has cost the BC aquaculture industry millions of dollars in losses over the years.

Duncan said quick detection of IHN will allow salmon farmers to identify virus outbreaks quickly and minimize potential losses by implementing containment measures.

"We're going to make very good use of this money," said Centre CEO Linda Sams. "This industry can and will be an accepted part of our economy here as long as we have local and innovative approaches to good operational practices."

Duncan also announced funding of $24,000 to the BC Salmon Farmers Association to import New Zealand's expertise in cryopreservation techniques. He said it will help to reduce operating costs and enhance brood stock performance.

Duncan said Ottawa will invest $23.5 million over the next five years to support the development of a vibrant and sustainable aquaculture industry.

"The industry is not without controversy," he said. "It's very important that we jointly invest in innovative practices designed to continually improve the industry's environmental record, which is why it gives me great pleasure to announce that our government is investing $524,000 in aquaculture innovation projects in British Columbia."

© Courier-Islander (Campbell River) 2009

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

F*ck me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! again political bull$****
Let the games begin,we should ask for a fund for the protection of salmon??????but wait they dont want to admit fault !!!!!!!!so this is there way of saying fish farms are in place forever so learn to live with it!!!!!!!

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

F*ck me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! again political bull$****
Let the games begin,we should ask for a fund for the protection of salmon??????but wait they dont want to admit fault !!!!!!!!so this is there way of saying fish farms are in place forever so learn to live with it!!!!!!!

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

X 2 What Wolf said,just utter nonsense,so frustating.$23.5 million for farmed fish,$0,for wild fish.Yeah great leadership, Dan

X 2 What Wolf said,just utter nonsense,so frustating.$23.5 million for farmed fish,$0,for wild fish.Yeah great leadership, Dan

This is proof that all politicians are ****** they sell to anybody! They do not have any integrity.

IMG_1445.jpg

This is proof that all politicians are ****** they sell to anybody! They do not have any integrity.

IMG_1445.jpg

I browse here quite frequently yet post very little. This is a serious issue that they are mishandling to such an extreme degree that we may be relegated to trolling in fish pens for recreational fishing as there will be no wild stock left..

They are just compounding the problem and not offering any solutions to the real issue with fish farms.

I browse here quite frequently yet post very little. This is a serious issue that they are mishandling to such an extreme degree that we may be relegated to trolling in fish pens for recreational fishing as there will be no wild stock left..

They are just compounding the problem and not offering any solutions to the real issue with fish farms.

Read " bottom feeders" that must be politicians.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

Read " bottom feeders" that must be politicians.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

it never ceases to amaze me. you know the old saying "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". sounds a like a hair brained idea.

it never ceases to amaze me. you know the old saying "the road to hell is paved with good intentions". sounds a like a hair brained idea.

quote:

"We're going to make very good use of this money," said Centre CEO Linda Sams. "This industry can and will be an accepted part of our economy here as long as we have local and innovative approaches to good operational practices."

Duncan also announced funding of $24,000 to the BC Salmon Farmers Association to import New Zealand's expertise in cryopreservation techniques. He said it will help to reduce operating costs and enhance brood stock performance.

In my opinion a local and innovative approach to good operational practices would be closed containment.

I was in Norway 22 years ago and witnessed their efforts to cryo-preserve wild salmon milt in order to retain remnants of genetic material from certain stocks that approached extinction. No new expertise is coming here from New Zealand. Duncan and Conservatives only care about farmed salmon performance and the industry's bottom line, not wild salmon preservation. If we care about wild salmon, we better start letting these guys know now or we will soon be asking their help to cryo-preserve BC's wild salmon genes!

Back