Yet another spoon thread...Gibbs G Force????

fishin_magician

Well, I've spent the winter working way too hard at the day job, messing around with the "other hobby", tending to this and that...and fishing is definitely coming back into focus.

Lately, on Social Media and Guides' Fishing Reports there has been a lot of promo about these new Gibbs G-force Spoons and Flashers. I was just given a few new Gibbs flashers to try and a few new G-force Spoons. They look alright...but of course the question always remains...do they catch fish as well as the other stuff on the market? Of course you catch fish with whatever you fish the most etc etc...

It will be a little while before I get a chance to test these products off against the tried and true for myself as I am doing some upgrades and servicing the next few weeks....

I've found that Silver Horde Spoons work alright but sometimes I'm not impressed when a beat up Coyote or another good ol' spoon of yesteryear such as a Tom Mack continues to catch fish while the "Irish Cream" or "Homeland Security" gets bent out of shape at the slightest touch or trolls along wasting the day away and not being very productive while the other gear continues to get hit.

Here's the links:

http://gibbsdelta.com/node/321

Guide Series Flashers: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FdHr3L_x0bY

Pro staff: http://www.gibbsdelta.com/pro-staff

Has anyone on here, besides the Prostaff fished this stuff and does it work as well as or better than the bulk of stuff we haul around?

Just want an opinion or few.

Hey FM, since your not using them you can throw them my way and I'll road test em for ya!
have you got the new Bonchovy special in the mix too?
I have not tried them yet but I am a bit of a spoon ***** so I will aquire some soon enough

Not too impressed with Gibbs since they moved their operation out to Delta I understand they're trying new products but IMNSHO the brief reincarnation of the Tom Mac copy tells the story.

This new spoon has all the looks of another also ran.

GFORCE-PRODUCT-IMAGE.jpg

I do like their Moon Jelly tape but it's something they've licensed from another producer maybe that's the way of the future in the tackle business.

Nope... I don't have that Bonchovy one but I do have 4 flashers and 4 spoons. I have some other spoons which have produced in the same pattern as the Bonchovy but it's non glow and on a Luhr Jensen Coyotes. These G Force Spoons have the painted glow backs. I would rather have the nickel/silver/chrome finish on the back from previous experience.

;)

I'll have to respectfully turn down your offer to test fish them....lol lol...not that I don't trust you.... ;)

I hear ya. The actual stamping is a different one altogether.....some of the original Gibbs stuff keeps on hooking though...Clendons, Wonders, Stewarts. The smallest sized original ones work awesome in local South Coast fisheries...had one trip in the Gulf Islands last year where they seriously out fished the leading Silver Hordes and held pace against the leading Luhr Jensen Coyote. Too bad none of the original Gibbs small spoons from decades ago are readily available in stores.

Last edited by a moderator:
We fish a lot of the new spoons last season and the flashers. They do work. Is it a rocking noticeable difference. Not really. But some days they definatly out produce the old regulars. We had a 15chinook day on the gypsy flaming Hans off sandheads. With the new flashers. It definatly out fished the bait. On a real short 36 in leader.

Dont get me wrong , im sure alot of them spoons work ie: flamin hans &homeland security &cookies n creme most notably... But lets call a spade a spade shall we? Alot of those spoons are a direct market stab at already existing spoons that produce well from luhr Jensen n silver horde.. So do we need 3 tackle boxes? You go buy these if you like but i will stick with the ones i already own 3 or 4 of that have stood the test oft time...(end rant)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did someone reproduce the Tom Mack? I only have a few left so I stopped using them.

Lots of Tom Mack's around. PNT in Steveston had a lot last year....however get your polish out....brass ones were plentiful. Nikka had some at the time too.

Slightly off topic.. If you find commercial spoons in brass or copper that you covet but dislike the polish work... I had a batch of old PC3 copper spoons done in nickel at Dependable Plating - my favs for needlefish spoons

I have few of them but the Gibbs spoons are not strong enough. It bend so easy. I like old style spoons such as diamond, tomic, etc are strong and hard to get bend.

Would like to hear some more peoples thoughts on these spoons
vugesuhe.jpg

The 3rd one from the right with the eye and and the hemoorhoid has been working well for me on the winters.

Good to know. I have been using Gibbs products for as long as I have been fishing.

However, shall we say, I have reason/experience to question just how well certain lines of their "sport" products work. Product life cycle is really important for a business....and due to certain fishing conditions on the South Coast.... I would prefer to fish a spoon which gets it done 100% of the time.

Don't get me wrong...Just speaking from my experience....

The commercial products however, I have no issues...I have several which I pulled out of Chinooks jaws after commercial openings in the Charlottes and WCVI.

[

Is there such a thing?

Pretty much, yep.

For example, take spoon "X". Spoon "X" produces well enough. However, when fished next to "Spoon Z", Z out fishes it all the time regardless of how it is rigged, tweaked, etc etc. Then there's spoon "Y", which only produces when there are fish all over the place.

Now, when the "bite" is off or the numbers of fish drop, I'd much rather have Z on the end of my line---the one that turns on the "bite" instinct. That's my point.

I have no problem investing in tackle that works...if it doesn't....I just give it away.

It's kinda like plugs...the ones that just sure fire....catch...or the bucktails of yore which rocked it on Cohoes.

FM have you seen any issues with the pesca's, Ive got a few that the paint is just crumbling right off of?
the only benefit I can see to the offshore produced spoons is they are easy to tune and change the flutter on with a little extra bend
the heavier ones are a little tougher
Tim

Back