Yelloweye?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing Forum' started by ILHG, Aug 11, 2019.

?

Is this a red vermilion rockfish

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    10.3%
  2. No

61 vote(s)
    89.7%
  1. seadna

seadna Well-Known Member

Me too. There's plenty of other color rockfish to be caught and the possibility of being wrong doesn't exceed the value of any one fish.

Newf likes this.
  2. trophy fisher

trophy fisher Active Member

All the large Vermillions I've ever caught has a white eye.

sir-vivor likes this.
  3. ILHG

ILHG Crew Member

Very interesting. I looked back at some pics of a Large Vermilion I caught & the eyes where white also. However the avg size were red...

trophy fisher likes this.
  4. trophy fisher

Yes, I also noticed the smaller ones have red/white eyes. Never had a Vermillion with a yellow eye.

hippaisland, Onchy and ILHG like this.
  5. Gerry V

Gerry V New Member

Here was my Vermillion last time out and they are a lot darker red in my experience.

Attached Files:

Dogbreath likes this.
  6. Mike1266

Mike1266 Member

Vermillion are a lot more darker red than Yelloweye, and do not have YELLOW EYES. The one in the instagram picture is most definitely a yelloweye, and if that was from a charter that is kind of a shame.

7. trophy fisher

Looks like they have deleted that post.

8. eldplanko

eldplanko Member

9. Aquaholic

Aquaholic Active Member

Non Yellow Eye is filled with worms usually.

ILHG likes this.
  10. ILHG

ILHG Crew Member

Very true. I kept a jumbo vermilion this year & when i cut it open it was discusting. Just packed with worms..

11. littlechucky

littlechucky Well-Known Member

Black bombers are the only rockfish I will keep.

Policeman44 and halimark like this.
  12. chris73

chris73 Well-Known Member

100% yelloweye

13. SpringVelocity

SpringVelocity Well-Known Member

Yep

14. Mudshark

Mudshark Active Member

Guides should know better.
    How much you wanna bet he’d be the guy slandering the new sports fisherman taking a picture with his once in a lifetime tyee before releasing it as well?

15. Policeman44

Policeman44 Member

I went 2 for 3 successfully descending yelloweye last trip...damn shame to see that fish pop up again ....

16. hippaisland

hippaisland Well-Known Member

Agreed

In over a decade guiding in the Gwaii I’ve also never seen a vermillion anywhere close to 24#’s

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  17. ILHG

ILHG Crew Member

Next time you are out and see a QCS boat, maybe help educate them on yellow eye.;)

18. Why should you feel bad retaining legal fish?

There is some wisdom in Haig Browns works that goes as: "I hope that one day it will not be a matter of pride to keep a limit of fish"...or something like that.

We should all strive to know enough that we recognize what constitutes a conservation concern. Relying on regulations when we know better would be wrong. But in the same token, if you were doing nothing wrong, why should you feel bad?

19. hippaisland

Be tough to do based out of Vancouver now! :p

ILHG likes this.
  20. hippaisland

With all the lodges that run self guided boats there’s more yellow eyes hitting the docks than one might think unfortunately thinking they’re Vermillion. Years ago(when retaining YE was legal) used to have the odd self guided boat hit the dock with big smiles because they had a locker full of Boccaccio’s thinking they were YE’s. o_O

ILHG likes this.