Yellow eyed football

Sea.P.P.

ling cod fishing on the weekend using large bait and fishing 15 feet off the bottom caught one 10 pound yellow eye. When it came up from 205 feet the bladder was sticking out and the lenses of it,s eyes shattered we let it float away. Luckily it was the only one. What would you have done?

ling cod fishing on the weekend using large bait and fishing 15 feet off the bottom caught one 10 pound yellow eye. When it came up from 205 feet the bladder was sticking out and the lenses of it,s eyes shattered we let it float away. Luckily it was the only one. What would you have done?
Ceviché

Get a descending device and release it safely back to the bottom. Apparently all the horrible effects of being dragged to the surface are reversed when they are returned to depth

Having now used my second style of descending device this last trip I can say that I'll never bottom fish without it. They honestly should be mandatory. The Seaqualizer attaches to your downrigger line and will bring them down 50/100/150 for the shallow one or 100/200/300 for the deep water model. That yelloweye would have had a fighting chance. Go get one, you won't regret it!

Last year I used a Shelton descending device. It worked good on small fish but when we caught a big yelloweye even a 2lb ball wouldn't sink it, that's why I now prefer a Seaqualizer. Faster and less finicky. For the budget minded the Shelton device can be made to work.

Cheers,

WW

Having now used my second style of descending device this last trip I can say that I'll never bottom fish without it. They honestly should be mandatory. The Seaqualizer attaches to your downrigger line and will bring them down 50/100/150 for the shallow one or 100/200/300 for the deep water model. That yelloweye would have had a fighting chance. Go get one, you won't regret it!

Last year I used a Shelton descending device. It worked good on small fish but when we caught a big yelloweye even a 2lb ball wouldn't sink it, that's why I now prefer a Seaqualizer. Faster and less finicky. For the budget minded the Shelton device can be made to work.

Cheers,

WW
Would the Seaequalizer work on a fish with shattered eye lenses

Yes it would. Even if that fish never feeds again, it might well live long enough to spawn one more time. Or it feeds a big ling on the bottom which is better than sea gulls on the surface..

It would give it a chance at least. I doubt the lenses were shattered, the eyeballs would definitely be extruded and would likely resolve itself at depth with the increased pressure.

People and animals survive extruded eyeballs quite frequently with no long term effects. Just think of Pugs... :eek:

+1 on the descender. . .we had one rigged on a spare hali rod with a weight ready to go, and it was going up and down like a yo yo last week where we were. . .descended more rockfish than we kept while hali fishing. Downrigger works even better but it was deployed for other purposes,

fb

Back