Yearly cost ?

I have zero experience with owning a fiberglass boat. I own a welded aluminum (Hewescraft) and can say it has next to no maintenance. Its powered with a 150 Yamaha and that motor is a dream.

It was the folks on this forum who have tons of life experience with boats who put me on to the boat I own today.

I would put more weight in their recommendations than any other stuff you read on the internet.

Take your time and make sure you educate your self in what's important in a boat. Write down your list of "Needs" and that will help keep you focused on your search.

Best advice I was given was the importance of insuring your family is comfortable on the boat in the conditions you will likely encounter. My favorite fishing partners are my wife and kids. We spend a ton of time all summer on the boat. Literally every moment when I'm not working.

Last edited:
21ft Striper with a NEW 200 and 9.9 Hi thrust ..... can be even fished solo or 4 people no problems , very comfortably !
Can take any west coast water conditions (trust me I know) and is smooth riding. IMHO Its got to
have a cuddy or you'll be loosing your crew very quickly lol
I've had mine with a 200 Ocean Pro for 10 years and its been nothing but great adventures !
Good luck, Tight lines and Be safe and you'll open a whole new world of adventure and memories to relive for a life time.
PS; take the power squadron course before so you know what your doing and maybe go out on a few guided trips if you haven't
already

Last edited:
New price minus the price of the 2004 only works out to approximately $2500/year.
Agreed. A near new campion 542 like 2017 is $45,000-$47,000 A 2005 campion 542 is like $30,000-$32,000. That’s just over $1000.00 a year depreciation and if you can afford it I would go as new as possible. @MikePA no regrets bud.

im going to be into my double eagle 17 for close to $30,000 after I repower it, but it will be a like new boat and I will have full trust in it. Some things are worth dropping the dough on. Motors are one of those things IMO

21ft Striper with a NEW 200 and 9.9 Hi thrust ..... can be even fished solo or 4 people no problems , very comfortably !
Can take any west coast water conditions (trust me I know) and is smooth riding. IMHO Its got to
have a cuddy or you'll be loosing your crew very quickly lol
I've had mine with a 200 Ocean Pro for 10 years and its been nothing but great adventures !
Good luck, Tight lines and Be safe and you'll open a whole new world of adventure and memories to relive for a life time.
PS; take the power squadron course before so you know what your doing and maybe go out on a few guided trips if you haven't
already

Let’s not get crazy ......any west coast water conditions...lol.

Let’s not get crazy ......any west coast water conditions...lol.
Had the boat for 10 years and trust me fished some very rough waters out of Bamfield , 20 miles off shore with green water , not just spray and not just head on but sideways and always made it back ...Sure never a hurricane or tsunami but if someone was to do that well their not only crazy but idiots , so "Yes" ANY in my books :)

to maintain the value somewhat and keep everything current, you can expect to spend about 10% of the boats value annually. Some years will be less and some more.

CRGreg

Where are you planning to go boating, and what type of fishing?

The where question is going to dictate the type/size of boat, and also to some degree the annual maintenance required.

Small bowriders are great for family use on calmer waters (like small to medium lakes, and protected inlets on the ocean). If you're planning to fish around Vancouver at the usual spots (Sandheads, Thrasher, Straight of Georgia hump, etc) then a small bowrider probably isn't the best choice...these boats are vulnerable to taking on water via the open bow. Once the boat is loaded up with water it is slow to drain because you're relying only on the bilge pump. This can become a very dangerous situation.

The fishing question is also going to dictate the type/size of boat.

Anchoring on a shoal and casting for trout is going to be very different to trolling for salmon with downriggers.

My advice for an all-around boat for the Vancouver area would be a used Campion 542 or similar. You can do family activities at the lake and also go in the ocean.

we only did bottom fishing before for rockfish,lingcod,sole and we do crabbing too, mostly we just stay in horseshoe bay area, howe sound,burrard inlet,indian arm.
maybe bring the boat to galiano island , sunshine coast ,powell river during summer....we would love to try salmon or trout fishing...we wont go too far away from the land to open sea cause with 2 kids

As a new boater, I went with an 18 1/2 aluminum. I had very little experience. As of now, I have put the boat in the water 7 or 8 times and already feel very comfortable and confident with the way it handles and how to control it. Not sure if this is of any help, but when it comes to the "for beginners" angle, this style of boat seems beginner friendly.

I picked this boat as it tows the tube with the kids very easily (can get 3 kids on the tube with 4 people on the boat up to 55 km/h - which is way more than we need). Plus it is awesome in the ocean, lots of room for fishing, etc. Biggest plus though, is that for a new boat owner it is easy to operate and easy to launch, which for me was a big deal.

As a new boater, I went with an 18 1/2 aluminum. I had very little experience. As of now, I have put the boat in the water 7 or 8 times and already feel very comfortable and confident with the way it handles and how to control it. Not sure if this is of any help, but when it comes to the "for beginners" angle, this style of boat seems beginner friendly.

I picked this boat as it tows the tube with the kids very easily (can get 3 kids on the tube with 4 people on the boat up to 55 km/h - which is way more than we need). Plus it is awesome in the ocean, lots of room for fishing, etc. Biggest plus though, is that for a new boat owner it is easy to operate and easy to launch, which for me was a big deal.

How much its about? Whats brand and model? I want to see how it looks like....thx

you can mod kingfishers all day long.mine has a "few" extras including captains chairs, 2 more seats, 2 more storage spaces, tower, halo 20+ radar, 12"+7"+10.5" chartplotters, anchor roller with rocna vulcan, angler package, remote throttle/shift kicker, gx 2200 VHF, HS60 with MARPA target tracking, night vision/low light camera, searchlight, forwardscan+downscan sonars, remote controlled electric trolling
motor, upgraded batteries, solar panels, 12v generator and a few other dozen extras.
same model, heres mine :

01616_f4zcUV3gplS_0ww0oo_1200x900.jpg

00e0e_fffVs1DhMLz_0ww0oo_1200x900.jpg

gonna upgrade the wipers and rub rails next.

Last edited:
Back