Yea - Chris Bos!

Hmm, hasn't it been the home insurance gang that have been mandating that heating fuel tanks be moved outside so that the tanks don't leak into the house....where it could be smelt and fixed right away, but cost them potential cleanup claims. They want them outside where they can leak for weeks or months until the furnace won't fire before they are discovered. But never mind the only damage is to the environment and that isn't claimable.

Good point Rollie. Never really looked at it that way. Damn straight!

Hmm, hasn't it been the home insurance gang that have been mandating that heating fuel tanks be moved outside so that the tanks don't leak into the house....where it could be smelt and fixed right away, but cost them potential cleanup claims. They want them outside where they can leak for weeks or months until the furnace won't fire before they are discovered. But never mind the only damage is to the environment and that isn't claimable.

Yes this is true, we had a tank inside which was in good shape, but the age was somewhat doubtful.
It had to be replaced.
Any tank older than 20 yrs must be replaced with an outside tank on a concrete pad.
Insurance companies will no longer renew your policy otherwise.

I think it should be mandatory to have a pressure test done before each fill. Too many tanks out there are leaking in the soil with out detection. Especially the systems where tanks or lines are buried.

Mine is in my garage which is part of the house and I have insurance. I told them that the garage has a concrete wall that has a minimum height of 6 inches at the door that enters the basement. So no oil can't get into the house. The only place it can go is out under the garage door to the driveway. I would rather know the tank is leaking by detecting the diesel smell than have it outside rusting away and not be able to smell it. I also told them if it came to it I could easily have a sheet metal tray made for the tank to sit inside off, thereby catching the first drops from a newly leaking tank. Again I would smell those first drops and get the leak fixed. Just common sense.

It is on the list but I just spent 7K on a new roof and a re-do of the bathroom is next on the list. The furnace and tank were only 2 years old when we bought the house 6 years ago.

Well if I could go take a **** on the furnace it would move up the list. ;)

They mopped up the last few drops of heating oil that hadn't leaked out and took it down to the local DFO office where they can't afford to buy their own.

Back