Yanmar 6BY vs. Volvo D4

I've never dealt with yanmar marine desiel, but the construction yanmar diesels have a great reputation with the company I work for.

That said, the Volvo diesels in the construction equipment are solid as well.

Guess I'm not much help.

Do you have a good service centre for each near by?

Haha thanks. I believe Stem to Stern is the go-to in town.

Reactions: NDT
i rebuilt a yanmar 4lt-ste 240hp. really not impressed with the engineering of it. i think i like penta more

Haha thanks. I believe Stem to Stern is the go-to in town.
stem to stern would not even talk to me when i needed $5000 in parts, i had to marine services group in anacortis, they were great to deal with. i took a quick look at the service manual for the 6by. looks like they changed alot of the things i did not like. what ever you end up with do regular oil samples. as a rule of thumb i like a 6 cylinder over a 4

stem to stern would not even talk to me when i needed $5000 in parts, i had to marine services group in anacortis, they were great to deal with. i took a quick look at the service manual for the 6by. looks like they changed alot of the things i did not like. what ever you end up with do regular oil samples. as a rule of thumb i like a 6 cylinder over a 4
The cutwater I put the offer on has a yanmar. After looking at so many boats I forgot and just assumed it had the Penta. Its brand new from and insurance claim they say o_O

I agree. 6 cylinder is a smoother engine at idle especially. The Volvo D4 idles at 700rpm and still rattles pretty good. Smooths right out once you throttle up though.

I use PleasureCraft for my D4's. So far been good. They are at Lions Bay Marina and can arrange haul outs, bottom paint etc. Raymond is the owner.

Another big thumbs up for Raymond, Steve and Jeff at Pleasurecraft...while my Volvo is gas, these guys are top notch and very fair. You should consider having them do a PPI for you as they will have all the diagnostic tools for sure.

Just to be clear, Pleasurecraft is located at Lions Gate Marina, not Lions Bay...cheers.

Ya what he said, Lions Gate Marina.:)
They have a new Volvo tech Ian. Very nice young guy and good mechanic.

Last edited:
Rain City--Not sure if you've checked out the website called Tugnuts but it's a forum for Cutwater and Ranger Tugs. Lots of great owners that are willing to share info with others. From what I understand the original engines in their boats were Yanmars and then a few years back they switched to Volvo-Penta but then just a couple of years ago they switched back to Yanmar. I have the little R21 Ranger Tug. It is no longer in their product line but it has the Volvo Penta. Many of their models are now available with outboards.

Back