Yammy or Honda?

I have a yammy and its awsome! I have not heared anyone say i bad things about yammys or honda they are both soild engines. They are probaly similar in most stats so maybe its personal preference?

Vince, only my past input on the matter. Up to a couple of years ago the honda's had serious problems with the o-rings and seals splitting due to high oil pressure.. Honda addressed the problem by saying we were running them to hard during break in. I believe, at that time (98-99), the suggested break in at 3/4 throttle was about 12 hours. We did that and more and still found that they could not be broken with a sufficient amount of time..
Nothing like running a 12 to 15 foot swell(mind you these were 50 hp.) and the safety mechanism that shuts the motor down to 1000 or less r.p.m. when the oil level drops in a heart beat only made our own hearts skip a beat.
I am now running a 150 main and a 9.9 aux yami's.. Nothing compares!!!-Hope it helps-dirty

Maddog didnt you ask this same questoin 6 months ago LOL
look at all the guide boats we use yammys for one reason reliability.
Up at the lodge we used to use hondas because they were cheaper but after a while they break down especially the throttle because they are made from plastic bet you i personally have changed 20 of them. now all we use is yammy 6 hp for 4 years now and the time saved on matenance and repairs is practically nil they go in once a year before we start up and its all good.

With your kinda money what does it matter anyways,LOL LOL

Wolf

Am a Honda fan myself.

Have 2 130's since 99. MUST change seals in lower unit EVERY season. If you try to get a second year out of them you're gambling on failure of the seals and damage to the internals themselves due to water contamination. No big deal though, takes less than an hour to do the water pump and seals. Costs around 85 bucks for the parts. Never had to add oil between changes after the first season. They did come w/ a three year warranty but never had to use it and they are hour'ed up pretty good. Put on about 500 hours / season.

'Bullet Proof'.

Don't have allot of experience w/ Yammy's but do here that they are good. My thinking is that both Co's make good products. Yamaha was new to the big power 4-stroke game when I was buying and lets face it, this is all Honda knows. Been a 'Lab Rat' once before, NEVER AGAIN!. If I was buying today I would pay the extra cash and go with what I know.

I think the only reason Yammy's are hitting the markets so hard is all to do with $$$$. They are the 'newer kids on the block' and have their shirt sleeves rolled up and ready for action. Honda will have to take notice and start putting up a fight. Hope it doesn't compromise quality though.

Good decision on going w/ the High Thrust. Does Honda make one now?.

Dean

Some like it rough...
Others just puke!.

Mr. Dean

If it was a car Honda for sure over anything but as far as marine tough, relaible, fuel effecient, and resale value, you have to go Yammy! I have a 200hp and a 8hp high thrust, both 2004 four strokes and they are great!!

SW COWBOY

I do the Fishing, God does the Catching!

I have owned 2 Honda 8 hp engines, several mercs, Susuki and a Yammie 50 hp 4 stroke. I think the Yammies are slightly overpriced but are great engines. I have many hours on the 50 hp and not 1 problem with regular maintenance. The Honda's I had when I used to guide and I put thousands of hours on them. If I had a boat over 4000 - 5000 lbs and money was not a problem I would have a high thrust yammie 9.9 with controls.

Well i thought i might get away with being different so i bought a 6 horse Suzuki... Just kidding, Wolf, did you fall outta your chair on that one??? LOL. Anyway it looks as though i can get the best price through Yamaha and with there notoriously good record why not???

Ford............... :)

Some like it rough...
Others just puke!.

Mr. Dean

I had a ford engine in my last boat, ( that I sold last october thank god) never again will I have a FORD!

I put in a brand new crate engine, not a rebuild and the FORD piece of garbage had some problem getting oil to the cam. burnt the lifts and cam. Ford could never give me reson on why it happend, had to take it out and put it twice. it was like pulling teeth to get compensation from them

as for Chevy or Ford I pick Chev my Dad's chev runs like a champ

Bigchrome
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught

bigchrome

Now Maddog where too purchase the beast. Will it be SG or Sherwood ? The guy in Duncan Payless marine was $100 bucks cheaper than anybody, but i wasn't sure if when warranty work or first service which is 20 hrs, you had to go back to where you purchased it?

Tournament Proven !

Fins, I almost went for a new o4 from Payless but ended up getting a nice clean used 9.9 Yammi from a fellow who Vinny must Know for a price i couldn't resist. Now on to the Radar and im set up..... JRC or Furuno.... It never ends,

Back