Yamaha T9.9 starting problem

vanisland

So I just picked this kicker up, its a 08 9.9 tiller model with electric start. I tested the motor when I bought it and it fired right up and ran fine. According to the guy who just bought the boat it was on, the original owner only put like 200 hrs on it, still looks like new. Anyway, after I put it on my boat I removed the tiller and installed a control conversion kit so I could use my controls that I already have up front. The only electrical that was on the tiller was the stop switch that I relocated to the motor. So I hooked up the controls and reconnected all the electrical that was disconnected. I turned the batt switch on and pressed the start button and it started cranking but didn't start. I wasn't surprised because it had been sitting for 3-4 days with no fuel line connected and I didn't pump the primer when I tried starting it. I pressed the started a few more times, same deal, pumped the primer bulb, went and hit the starter and nothing happened, didn't turn over, just heard a click. Tried again, just one click, nothing, tried again, same thing. After a few more try's there is no click now even, nothing. So got the multi meter on it, this is what I found, 12v to the starter solenoid battery side, 12v through the 10a fuse, 12v coming out of the neutral switch with the starter button depressed, so that cant be the issue, but zero voltage on the other side of the solenoid, even with the starter button depressed. Tried jumping across the solenoid with a screwdriver, nothing, tried a jumper wire with the multi meter on it from the 12v batt side of the solenoid direct to the starter and the voltage goes from 12v to 0 and nothing happens. As soon as I take the wire off the starter it goes back to 12v on the jumper wire. Nothing electrical wise has changed since the conversion as the only thing I connected from the controls was the shift and throttle cables, kept the electrical on the motor the same. Also tried playing around with the kill switch while the starter button was depressed, pulled it out more, pulled the clip off, pushed the button etc and nothing.

I have no clue what else to check or do, any help would be much appreciated before I have to take it in and spend money on a brand new to me kicker, Thanks.

I have an 8hp which has the kill switch on the tiller.
A couple of things
1) Was there a kill switch on yours, if there was how are you addressing this with the conversion.
2) Since you are only getting clicking sound, is the battery run down.

Thanks for the replies guys, yes I had a kill switch on the tiller, I just took it off and relocated it to the housing where I used to have the old shifter cable running through. Im thinking the batteries might be suspect so I dropped them off at can tire to charge them then load test them. Wunder yes the shifter is in neutral, I tried wiggling the shifter on the motor while trying to start and made no difference.

So today I tried starting the motor manually with the pull start as this model has electric and manual start. Will not start. Tried playing around with the choke, throttle etc and nothing. Pulled the spark plugs to investigate and this is what I found, top plug was wet and had some red liquid on it. Never seen that before, bottom plug was wet also but no red and just black on the end. I pulled the starter cord while the plugs were out and nothing came out. I cleaned the plugs and put them in the spark plug cables and put them against the block to test for spark. Have spark on both plugs, then pulled the clip on the kill switch to check that and no spark, so that's working. Put the plugs back in and tried to fire it up and nothing. Stumped at this point, anyone have any ideas? Heres a pic of the top plug. IMG_0106.jpgIMG_0107.jpg

Sounds like more than one problem.
Batteries suspect, you're taking care of that....
I'm guessing carburetor problem too. If the previous owner never had th carb re an re'd, it's way past time. Only 200hrs also leads one to believe the carb sat with fuel in it for extended periods of time, creating residue in the tiny jets and ports you can't see. Or a stuck float or needle valve, or plugged jet. If you are handy and have the patience to research an learn about the carb from the net (marineengine.com forum a good place to start) you can do it yourself. If not, take it to a pro. It's not too difficult but it's super finicky. It is curious though that it started up and ran fine when you bought it!? How long was it between purchase and conversion to where you are with it now?
Looks like new plugs would be on my shopping list. Needle float valve and carb jets and other things you will want can be bought and shipped cheap from boats.net.
As for the red film, I'm guessing either dye from marine gas or someone incorrectly put thread loctite on it. Suspect dye though. Is the oil reddish at all? If so your fuel pump is done too.
I know it sounds like a lot. If there hasn't been much time between last time it ran and now, an expert will have to chime in here to think of things that may of happened during the conversion that I know nothing about.
Regardless, you will be doing that carb at some point. Some guys end up doing it twice a year on those engines.

Well think I finally figured it out, got the motor up and running today a bunch of times. Problem appeared to be the existing yami power cable that was already run on the boat from the previous motor. I connected the cable I got with the motor direct to a battery then to the batt switch and it fired right up both times. So hopefully be trolling in no time! Thanks for the suggestions guys

Back