Yamaha T9.9 carburetor needed

codfather

Crew Member
I have a issue with my kicker running a smooth as I like. It runs very well when it's trolling but at a idle it starts to run a bit rough.

What I am looking for is a used carb from an engine that is out of commission.

I would like to try a carb to see if that is the problem with mine.

Do you know of anyone that has a shop or a kicker with a good carb?

Here are a list of Carburetors that will fit that engine.

2008 Yamaha 6AVK 1000001~ T9.9GELH/T9.9GPXR/T9.9GPLH/T9.9GPLR/T9.9GEXH/T9.9G

2008 Yamaha F9.9FMSH 2/F9.9FELR 2/F9.9FMLH 2

2008 Yamaha T9.9GEXH 2/T9.9GELH 2/T9.9GPXR 2/T9.9GPLR 2/T9.9GPXH 2/T9.9GPLH

2009 Yamaha F9.9FMSH/F9.9FMLH/F9.9FELR

2009 Yamaha T9.9GEXH/T9.9GELH/T9.9GPXH/T9.9GPLR/T9.9GPLH/T9.9GPXR

2010 Yamaha F9.9FMLH/F9.9FMSH/F9.9FELR

2010 Yamaha T9.9GEXH/T9.9GPLH/T9.9GPXR/T9.9GPXH/T9.9GPLR/T9.9GELH

2011 Yamaha T9.9GPLH/T9.9GELH/T9.9GPLR/T9.9GEXH/T9.9GPXH/T9.9GPXR

upload_2017-5-31_9-1-47.png

Thanks,
upload_2017-5-31_9-1-47.png
Mike

250-729-1429

codfathers@hotmail.com

Run some SeaFoam though it.

That's weird that it trolls fine, it must be starved for fuel at idle? Replacing the carb sounds extreme. Especially if it ran fine before and this problem started after sitting for winter?
I had to take my kicker carb apart twice once, cleaned it all with carb cleaner and blew it out with compressed air. It ran fine for a bit and then got clogged with a tiny bit of gunk, went through it all again and after the second round it ran perfect. Although I did also replace the fuel line as well for insurance.

Otherwise ebay has some that might fit.

Those Yammy carbs are so small and complicated for a kicker.....multiple fuel circuits.....an accelerator pump....if you have access to a sonic cleaner completely disassemble it and clean it in the sonic bath. I would be pretty surprised that you would need a new carb. Also replace the gasket when you install or that will cause headaches as well. You probably know all this already but thought I would offer my 2c

Thanks for all the help. I know getting a new carb seems drastic but I'm going to Nootka for 80 days of guiding and I don't want any issues.

I have been told by a couple guys now about SeaFoam. I think on Sunday I will run a can of gas with SeaFoam thru it and hope that clears it up.

I bought new jets and put them in last year and it worked well until this spring.

There was a guy in Campbell River that use to work on motors and had a pile of parts. Does anyone know who that was and if they are still around?

Mike

I had the same problem on my old boat and did the SeaFoam thing. Sprayed in the carb to the point of almost stalling a couple times and them just sprayed it till it did stall. Then sprayed in some more and let it sit for a hour. Started it and smoked like crazy and then cleared, thing never ran better the whole time I had it. At the end of the season ran some in the tank.

I think there are two ports in the float bowl behind the float. one is a high speed and one is low speed, I bet you have some junk in one. A tiny piece of rust or dirt and seafoam cant help. had this problem on my buddys honda kicker two years ago its been good ever since.

fish brain, I was told by someone that there are a couple jets that you can only get to if you drill a plug out. Not sure where that is?

side of the carb facing you looking at it, will be brass or steel plug. Air fuel needle is behind it.To get the plug out I drill a hole in the middle and put a screw in and pull out with vice grips or tap one side and it will **** and use small needle nose pliers.Once the plug is out screw the needle valve in until it seats counting turns( helps re-set) I usually take the 2 top screws off of the steel plate on top of the carb then blow carb cleaner thru the air fuel port. Screw the top plate back on and reset air fuel. I find it best to set a/f with the boat in the water (exhaust pressure). I have done this to a few merc, yamaha motors(all use the same carb) and it has always made them purr. No need to replace plug as the needle has an o-ring

Seafood won't clean the passages well. My new mercury bigfoot idled like crap for the first 2 years right from new. Fixed it using the above method 2 weeks ago and now it runs like a smooth mercury kicker but not as nice as a yamaha.

Last edited:
fish brain, I was told by someone that there are a couple jets that you can only get to if you drill a plug out. Not sure where that is?
As SalmonKiller detailed above they should be a rounded bump.
The two I'm talking about should be inside the float bowl. pull the pin that holds the float in and above the float should be the to ports. you can run them through wit a small torch cleaning tool or spray them out with carb cleaner.
I'm stuck on the farm now for a couple of weeks, or I'd offer to come up to Nanaimo and give you a hand.

Thanks guys, I ran SeaFoam thru the card yesterday. I mixed up 1 L of fuel in a plastic jug with the SeaFoam and fired the kicker up at 1100.

Trolled from the Fingers North for 1 hour before the fuel ran out. That's not bad 1 Liter per hour on the 9.9 Yamaha.

The kicker maybe is running a little better at dead idle. Anything else about that it runs perfect.

The next step will be to take the plug out and get at the jet to clean that out. I guess that must be the low speed idle jet?

Thanks

My kicker is purring like a kitten now. Thanks Fish Assassin for the info on punching out the low speed idle jet plug and adjusting it.

After turning in the jet all the way and counting the turns, then backing it off and out. Then spraying carb cleaner thru it and installed the jet it ran like a top.

Thanks,

Mike

Back