Yamaha T8 owners? (Or 9.9 etc..)

Go.Fish

I bought a T8 with my latest boat and have the motor on a stand at home. I have NO Idea how to hook up the controls and wiring harness on the engine to test run the engine on the stand.

Is there anyone in or around the city, North Van, West Van, downtown that has a Yamaha kicker installed with controls in their boat I could look at to see how to hook the wiring up? Or even a picture or a link to how it's done etc?? I have some ideas but don't want to hook the power up wrong etc...

I would greatly appreciate a moment of someone's time! I have a car and an open schedule, it would literally take me 2 minutes and maybe a picture

Mine is a 2004 with power trim/tilt and 703 remote

I'm willing to pay for someone's time just to pop the cowling.., 6 pack etc...

Please pm, thanks!

You don't need the controls to test run. Just hook up to a battery and jump the starter relay with a screwdriver. You can manually move the carb. If you need more info you can PM me. Oh yeah and put in water of some type before starting.

Don't jump it with a screw driver...just plug in the main harness...its like a 8-10 pin black large connector on the remote harness (the other end hangs out the front of the motor) As said you can move the throttle at the carb. The choke will work on the remote as well once you plug it in. The battery cables also come out of the engine and you just need to have a battery close enough to hook up to them.

Thanks for the replies... i was going to hook up the controls just so i could use the key to start it. I have the power cable and harness but theres at least a couple wires disconnected. I'll try to post a photo later so you can see what I'm working with

You'll likely have this engine rigged and running by the time you get one, but please get yourself a factory service manual for your kicker model and year. It's the first thing I do with every marine engine I've owned. And FYI most of the manuals have detailed info on installation and rigging, plus first run procedures for after installation, maintenance, winterising, etc. Easy to find online.

Heres what I'm working with. Not sure where to hook the positve and negative from a battery to the engine, also not sure where the green wire with the eyelet goes or if the red wire with the male connecctor is supposed to be attached under the cowling

The remote has some wires coming off but not sure which ones are "needed" to be hooked into the harness for basic operation. They dont all have a direct color match

Before i spend money on replacing the power tilt unit (pretty expensive), and a manual, i just want to see how it runs and make sure it has good compression

So basically, where do I hook the positive and negative from a battery and where do the green and red wires under the cowling go? I can pull the 703 remote apart and figure out which are the ignition wires
D2otARH.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Neg to ground on engine. Pos battery cable to starter motor pos, usually... T8 owners should be able to tell you for certain. Mercs and OMCs in my history. You coulkd also try googling Yamaha T8 wiring diagram.

I have a 2005 like yours but the wires look some what different.

So basically, where do I hook the positive and negative from a battery and where do the green and red wires under the cowling go?

The black battery wire bolts to the side of the starter. You have a single smaller black wire there now.

The green wire goes with the other green wire on the top post of that thingamajig. Then the rubber boot goes on top of both.

The red (male) wire should plug into another red (female) wire right below the current one. This wire may have a black sleeve over it. You can just pull the sleeve back to check. This is where mine is some what different. I have a zap strap that holds more wires and that is where my wire goes, under the zap strap.

This is the part I'm not sure as I would have to tear mine apart to confirm.
The red Battery wire goes to the thingamajig that has 12v on it. I see in your picture that you have something connected there so I'm not to sure. (edit like sk just posted perhaps the red battery wire goes to the starter. You may have to unbolt/ remove it to see.)

Perhaps others could jump in and help here.

Thanks for the replies again... So I tried hooking this up with some suggestions, no luck so far!
The black battery wire bolts to the side of the starter. You have a single smaller black wire there now.
I did this

The green wire goes with the other green wire on the top post of that thingamajig. Then the rubber boot goes on top of both.
I left this part out because it appears to be for the power tilt unit, which I have removed for the time being

The red (male) wire should plug into another red (female) wire right below the current one. This wire may have a black sleeve over it. You can just pull the sleeve back to check. This is where mine is some what different. I have a zap strap that holds more wires and that is where my wire goes, under the zap strap.
Looked in, under, and around where this red male wire is, and can't find a female mate anywhere :(

This is the part I'm not sure as I would have to tear mine apart to confirm.
The red Battery wire goes to the thingamajig that has 12v on it. I see in your picture that you have something connected there so I'm not to sure. (edit like sk just posted perhaps the red battery wire goes to the starter. You may have to unbolt/ remove it to see.)
I hooked the positive battery wire up to the post that has 12v on it. There looks to be a smaller red wire going to the starter already, might be called a solenoid mounted the right side of the starter.

So I have the negative and positive battery wires hooked up the engine, and connected the 8-10 pin connector thingamajig. The Remote has 4 wires which are for the ignition I believe. RED, BLACK, YELLOW, and GREEN all in one loom. The harness has RED BLACK YELLOW but NO GREEN. I hooked up the BLACK and YELLOW wires but the red coming off the remote has a female and the red on the harness has 2 females?? This is odd. So I bypassed the wiring harness and hooked up the red on the remote to the random male red wire on the engine. NADDA. I'm doing something wrong.

Still not sure where the red male wire on the engine goes...

Here is where that red wire under the cowling goes...
It's part of the positive battery cable.
You may need to make up a new wire if it's not there.
Check the fuse in part #34 / #35

attachment.php

I opened up my wire loom on my controls and found that none of those loose wires were attached to anything, just the multi pin control cable was attached.

cheers
GLG

Attachments

• Capture from yamaha 8hp.jpg
    Capture from yamaha 8hp.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 140
Thanks for the help GLG... I got it sorted today. Still no sign of the female red wire but got it running today several times and checked the compression on the top cylinder and its 125psi (gotta figure out tomorrow how to get the bottom spark plug out) the only 13/16 deep socket I have is an impact so it's too big. It runs without that red wire connected so not too sure what exactly it does plugged into the fuse block yet but I'll wire up a new wire tomorrow. That diagram was helpful

Had kind of an ah ha moment earlier. I took the remote apart to find out what wires were connected to the ignition and found ALL of the wires that mated up with the wiring harness inside the remote! Had no idea where all the missing connectors were until then, the only wire I had to hook up was the red wire coming out of the remote needed its own direct 12v source so just connected it temporarily with a eyelet-male ... Anyhow, water pump wasn't working so took the lower leg apart and all seemed fine, gave it some lube and works now. Had to clean the carb twice to find moisture inside, then some crud in the fuel tank.

Another carb clean tomorrow, clean the fuel tank, fresh gas, and all should be good to go

Cheers

Good to hear you got it sorted out.
Any chance that red male wire plugs into a female plug that is under the red cover of the battery cable that is connected to that 12V relay. I have a separate wire but mine is a different year so they might have changed. Looking at your picture back at post #6 it looks like there might be room there for that connection. At any rate it seems you have it all under control now. That bottom spark plug will be a piece of cake......

Back