yamaha t8 Kicker running rough

marula

Thought i would share this in case any one else has a rough running kicker.

My yamaha t8 kicker has been rough running and hard to start last season and its been sitting too long this summer and was even worse, would not run unless choke was engaged. Disengage the choke, rev it up and it runs for a few seconds then dies. I have had this happen before and its almost always dirty carb. The jets and nozzles are very small in these little engines and subject to varnish and at some point you just have to break it down and clean. Main culprit is the main nozzle that feeds the fuel from the float bowl to carb body, very tiny nozzle holes.

I like to work on the carb in a cardboard box lined with white paper towels, then i can see and contain any parts dropped. I tore it apart and sprayed with seafoam , soaked a bit and carefully blew out the nozzle and jets with compressed air. Less then an hour and not a hard job, you just have to prepare the work area for containing the small parts.

Picture of main nozzle is after cleaning , it was gummed up quite a bit. Some how i managed to not have any extra parts left over! lol .

Fired right up afterwards and ran smooth at idle once again.

Attachments

• t8 carb small_1.jpg
    t8 carb small_1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 177
  • t8 carb small_3.jpg
    t8 carb small_3.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 178
  • t8 carb small_2.jpg
    t8 carb small_2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 178
  • t8 carb small_4.jpg
    t8 carb small_4.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 178
Good job! Do you typically have to put in new gaskets each tim eor can yuo re-use them a number of times?

The gaskets were in good shape so i reused them in a pinch but you should really replace them as they are inexpensive. Still might do that.

done this too many times!!!

Back