Yamaha Ring Free

getbent

Hey guy's,

Any of you that are running the big yammies using the Yamaha Ring Free fuel additive?
10ml/10l is the ratio, basically I need 5l per fill, first time I used it I could only buy the small bottle for like 20l of fuel if I remember correctly. I believe they can get in the 355ml and there is a 32oz (1L) as well that I have seen on Amazon for about $40 outta the states. That is an extra $200 per fill...

Just curious who is running this additive...Doug or Mike?

https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/pna/det...d=18&subGroupId=91&categoryId=367&itemId=2867

Thanks,

Guy

I think it is meant to be a once in awhile thing-not an every fill-up deal. I have only used it occaissionally on the old motor and on the 9.9 last fall

That's what I figured as well, I have ran it once. Guess it depends on your ethanol intake??

The guy who works on my 250 4 stroke Yamaha said to run 1 tank per year with the additive My tank is 98 gallons.

Guy

I would save your money and use other well known additives; I have been doing lots of reading as of late on THT regarding Yammi's and what people recommend using to get a longer life; most recommend an aftermarket; as they do the exact same thing as ringfree, but cost 1/4 the price. A lot of guys with a few thousand hours on their motors have used nothing, but they recommend staying away from the ethanol blend fuel, if you can't then you need to use an additive. I have just ripped my fuel system apart in my 2 stroke Yammi's and have found lots of neat stuff that has made it through the 2 micron filters in the system from previous ethanol fuel being used. Ethanol draws water into your system that breaks down the fuel; and then a bunch of the chemicals turn into a hard almost calcium like substance on your filters; restricting fuel flow, it also allows bacteria to grow in your system that will plug up your filters, nasty stuff.

Your engine being new; do your break in as per the manual, do your services as per the manual, enjoy your boat! Stay away from ethanol blends and you will get a long life from your power plant!

Whether you use the Yamaha brand or not, I did have a mechanic once tell me that when getting inside the guts of both 2 strokes and 4 strokes, he could IMMEDIATELY tell if someone had been using ring-free (or not)

This guy lived and breathed outboard mechanics so that was enough for me

I'm stuck using gas that's stepped on with ethanol (unless I run 10 miles in the boat to a marina)

Shorty story--- I use ring-free on every fill up.

Money well spent?

I'll never know because this just might be the last outboard I'll ever own (ha ha) but I sleep better knowing I've taken proper precautions

Guy,
how big are your tanks? 10ml/10ltr the 12oz/355ml bottle treats almost 100us gallons
I use 1 12oz bottle for my big tank 100us gal and 1/2 bottle for my aux 50us gal.
I usually add every 2nd or 3rd tank, motors are now at 1200 hours and purr like kittens, actually quieter then kittens:rolleyes:
I buy mine from the guys in rmd for 25 ish a bottle
if you call Andy at SIM Yamaha he has case lot deals and free shipping within the US if you have an address

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah kinda pooched my math there Tim as I wasn't giving it my full attention...dam work getting in the way.

Bottom line is I try to avoid ethanol blends and was curious about frequency of use...good to know from the feedback.

Thanks for the input TC, the plant is awesome and am thoroughly enjoying the power. Hope to see you in Bam this summer...

Good to use anything with 2 strokes to keep carbon build up behind the rings. The carbon build up will overtime push the rings outward and increase the risk of the ring hooking on a port and breaking the ring. Once that happens the broken bits take out the head and eventually the piston. BTW...cheap 2 stroke oils with a lot of ash will cause more carbon build up behind the rings.

Back