yamaha question

spring time

I'm an new yamaha owner 150 hp and I always flush my motor. that garden hose connetor on the side of the motor is that enough to flush the motor or do you still need to run the motor. and is it okay to run the motor with the garden hose attached or do you still need the ear muffs

Never run the motor without the hose/earmuffs attached. The flush mount bypasses the water pump so it will get cooked very quickly w/o water. I also believe that the thermostat will be closed if the engine has had time to cool so the flush water will not penetrate into all of the areas you want it to. Another reason to run the engine WITH the earmuffs/hose.

I only use the flush port when I am in a bit of a rush.

I asked the guys at SG power in victoria about the garden hose connector,according to them it flushes the head and motor without running the motor.DO NOT run the motor without muffs,or submerged.It's also a 150 Yamaha.But like anything else phone your dealer and confirm.Dan

Do not run without the muffs. The garden hose attachment will flush your motor with no need to run.

I have a new f225 and 9.9 and run water through them religously. I also will have Sherwood winterize them including fogging etc.
Replacement would get a little costly LOL

I always flush my engines and wash them after fishing. I'd be intersted in hearing what others do as far as rinsing, cleaning or corrosion spray under the cowling.

Straight from Yamaha! Yamaha Outboard FAQs

Question
May I run the engine while using the integral Freshwater Flush adapter on my engine?

Answer
No. The convenient integral Freshwater Flush adapter has been designed for flushing of critical components without running the engine. The Freshwater Flush adapter was not designed to provide adequate cooling water, so the engine can be damaged from overheating. See "May I start the engine out of water?" for more information.

I am not familiar with the 150, but if you are running a "Saltwater Series" flushing is not as important as it used to be! (I'll probably catch some flack of that statement!)

I have been running dual Merc 225 Saltwater Series (made by Yamaha) and as my boat sets in the water year round, I don't worry about flushing anymore. Pull them out of the water for maintenance once or twice a year and flush then. I haven't had any problems in 5 years, but again... they are the Saltwater Series!

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

Straight from Yamaha! Yamaha Outboard FAQs

Question
May I run the engine while using the integral Freshwater Flush adapter on my engine?

Answer
No. The convenient integral Freshwater Flush adapter has been designed for flushing of critical components without running the engine. The Freshwater Flush adapter was not designed to provide adequate cooling water, so the engine can be damaged from overheating. See "May I start the engine out of water?" for more information.

I am not familiar with the 150, but if you are running a "Saltwater Series" flushing is not as important as it used to be! (I'll probably catch some flack of that statement!)

I have been running dual Merc 225 Saltwater Series (made by Yamaha) and as my boat sets in the water year round, I don't worry about flushing anymore. Pull them out of the water for maintenance once or twice a year and flush then. I haven't had any problems in 5 years, but again... they are the Saltwater Series!

No "Flack"... you gotta be kidding? :)

Back