Yamaha outboard warranty in Canada

fishwish

Question for you all.

If you buy a new Yamaha motor from a dealer in the states, does the warranty transfer into Canada?

It is my understanding that if you buy a new outboard in the US, and you have a warranty issue, you need to take it to a US Yamaha dealer to get it dealt with.

Is this true?

FishWish

I was told the same thing about Yamaha - US warranty is not valid in Canada. Not sure if the same applies to all other outboard manufacturers.

I did a lot of research into this when I was looking at buying a new boat/motor from the States and the best I could figure out was that a Yamaha USA warranty was NOT honoured by Yamaha Canada unless you were a US resident traveling in Canada. There is no transfer of warranties between the two corporate entities. I might be wrong but that's the way it seems to be.

I imported a Grady from the US and it had Yami's on it with low, low hours. Many phone calls, and NO luck...get a boat with a Suzuki on it.

If I remember right...if you buy a Yamaha in the US you have to take it back to the US for warranty work. This was done to protect dealers who were loosing to many cross border sales when the two currency's were miles apart in value. It was the dealers putting pressure on the manufacturer to do something to take away the incentive to go across the line to purchase.

Mercury is the only motor where the warranty in good in Canada if bought in the US. Only other option is to take your motor to the US for warranty service. Plus maybe Yamaha USA is better to deal with.

Back