Yamaha Outboard Service

17 ft sea ranger

Hey all.....I have a 200hp yami that I want to take good care of obviously. question is, do I need to take the outboard to a Yamaha certified mechanic, or is any outboard mechanic ok?
As far as the 100hr service.....is that 100hrs after the 10hr service....making it 110hrs, and how far over that would you go before you service it?

thanks

Hey all.....I have a 200hp yami that I want to take good care of obviously. question is, do I need to take the outboard to a Yamaha certified mechanic, or is any outboard mechanic ok?
As far as the 100hr service.....is that 100hrs after the 10hr service....making it 110hrs, and how far over that would you go before you service it?

thanks

Interested in this as well.

For my 10 hour service I basically did myself. I’m no mechanic, made sure oil was clean and at appropriate levels, checked plugs and that’s about it. I’m at about 35 hours now and am wondering if I should go to 100 or just go get a baseline service done? I will be going to a certified Yamaha shop for that.

Chris Forsch @Forsch Marine in Sidney.

If its going in for it's 100 hour service, spend the money on a certified mechanic. There are a lot of checks to be made at this point that can identify and prevent a premature failure. This should include retorquing bolts, belt tension inspection and cooling system flush and inspection, among others.
Donnie d, if you have only 35 hours on the boat, you need to have your engine oil, oil filter and fuel filter replaced now. The break in period is when the most wear and tear happens; things such as piston rings wearing into position, and rust preventative oil treatment applied at the factory gets flushed out. Even your fuel system will have contaminants in the filter bowl and fuel lines.
Grease fittings will also need to be topped up, as your seals will have swelled with use.
I am a little surprised that a twenty hour break in isn't covered by an outboard warranty, considering how important it is.

If its going in for it's 100 hour service, spend the money on a certified mechanic. There are a lot of checks to be made at this point that can identify and prevent a premature failure. This should include retorquing bolts, belt tension inspection and cooling system flush and inspection, among others.
Donnie d, if you have only 35 hours on the boat, you need to have your engine oil, oil filter and fuel filter replaced now. The break in period is when the most wear and tear happens; things such as piston rings wearing into position, and rust preventative oil treatment applied at the factory gets flushed out. Even your fuel system will have contaminants in the filter bowl and fuel lines.
Grease fittings will also need to be topped up, as your seals will have swelled with use.
I am a little surprised that a twenty hour break in isn't covered by an outboard warranty, considering how important it is.

Thanks for that. I’ve got an appointment request in. Just back from my big trip so now is a great time.

Get a shop manual, you can do most routine maintenance yourself. It's not that complicated to change oil, filters, grease fittings and check over the engine.

Google will find you a part # for an oil filter sitting on the shelf of your local Crappy Tyre. Quicksilver outboard oil is on their shelves too. There are obviously some things better left to a mechanic, but you can do the basics at home for a lot less money.

thanks guys, yes the plan is to start doing it myself I realize it not that tough, for the 100hr I understand it important so I want to make sure that one is done right. But the biggest reason I not doing this one is I am busy with work......and I need to get back fishing!!

Your 10 hr. service (if that is when the break in period ends as mine was at 20 hrs) calls for all fluids and oil filter changed, and other inspections and greasing etc. The owners manual is your best guide, no matter what your dealer says. Very simple (or relatively so) to do at home. You can purchase a complete oil change kit from your dealer, but you will need to purchase the required amount of gearcase oil and the two crush washer or seals for the fill and check holes. Get your self a small hand pump to refill the gear case that fits the oil bottle.
Shoreline Marine SL52226-X Pump Lower Unit Fill (Yellow) 10$ on Amazon.ca

At this point I would refrain from using any products other the OEM just to fulfill warranty questions that may arise. Be sure to document your work with in progress pictures and keep all receipts.

The 100 hr service is at or before 100 hrs and is not 110 hrs. If you don't put 100 hrs on it by the time you park it for the winter (if you do park it) do the 100 hr. service just before parking it.

In for the break-in 20 hour maintenance at Kelowna Yamaha. Maybe one day I’ll do it myself...work...kids....not today!

Hope the smoke clears soon, not too keen to head out now.

Only 11 months till she’s back on the Island. Sigh.

Back