Yamaha oil filter

bigredsnapper

Is the oil filter for a n outboard the same as an automotive filter? Buddy told me the same filter the dealer sells for $30 I can get for $6. I would hate to blow my motor cheapin out on something so important. I have an 04 Yamaha 225 four stroke. Thanks BRS

Can't see why it would be any different, my Honda oem filter
is $10.
the same filter in the automotive store is $6

I am hesitant to try the auto filter also ??

This is my first Yamaha and I had a Honda before but always bought the filter from the dealer but I know it wasn't 30 bucks!! BRS

I was wondering the same thing I would get a sierra filter for a yamaha. same goes for oil what's the diff between marine oil and engine oil except the price

Had the mechanics over talking from the local suzuki shop telling me about a seirra filter that took out one of there big engines, something from the filer got loose and pluged up a main oil gallery. That good enough for me to buy name brand stuff. Hate having a engine down during a fishing season, but to be down because the owner wanted to save a couple bucks.

My Evinrude 15hp oil filters are about $16 at the dealer. I cross refrenced the oil filter number on the Purolator and Fram websites and now get their filters for about $8. Never had any problems.

quote:Originally posted by adrianna3

My Evinrude 15hp oil filters are about $16 at the dealer. I cross refrenced the oil filter number on the Purolator and Fram websites and now get their filters for about $8. Never had any problems.

I also get the aftermarket filters for Yamahas.

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

I have a friend that buys his oil filters at the automotive shop in qualicum. He researched who makes the oil filters for yamaha.Not sure of the brand name.Parksville boathouse wanted a arm and a leg .They are not aftermarket but the real thing. Willyd

I have a 225hp Mercury Saltwater series, oil filter = $49 I just about sh/%, I later find out this motor is actually a Yamaha so I buy Yamaha filters from Parkers now for $36. Still crazy, and I to have been wondering do I really need name brand marine oil. I`m positive Yamaha, Mercury and Honda don`t make there own oil. So why pay $4.50 a liter.

Go to Nappa and get a Wix or a Nappa gold replacement ,you save money and there quality filters. :D

quote:Originally posted by Halilogger

I have a 225hp Mercury Saltwater series, oil filter = $49 I just about sh/%, I later find out this motor is actually a Yamaha so I buy Yamaha filters from Parkers now for $36. Still crazy, and I to have been wondering do I really need name brand marine oil. I`m positive Yamaha, Mercury and Honda don`t make there own oil. So why pay $4.50 a liter.

the Napa filter for the 200- 250 yamaha is 18-7906-1

untitled.jpg

Fill the dam tub!

I save a few bucks by buying my 9.9 Yami filters at the Yamaha motorcyle shop. They apparently are used on some of those machines as well. Same filter but less mark up than the marine side.

Back