Yamaha oil change and gear oil?

merrittboy1

Installed a new to me Yamaha f225 4.2l this past summer. Worked great. Doing my first servicing. Was wondering if those of you with Yamahas stick to Yamahalube products, oils, fogging, filters etc. Was told that it is a must to keep these motors strong. Need some input here.
Was also wondering about fogging. What do others do to fog their motors? I have been told everything from don't fog to just spray fog in plug holes. Even called two different Yamaha service centers, one said they don't fog, just add stabilizer to gas and run it and other said spray fog into throttle body. Bit confusing. Need some advice!
Was also told NEVER use marked gas! Told it clogs things up! WTF

My 4.2l f250 made oil for the first 100 hours. Heard the marked gas makes this worse? Has stopped making oil now, still using marked gas though. I guess the rings are all broken in and seated now.

I use yamalube for the engine oil and the mercury high performance gear lube for the leg. 2 different yamaha techs told me the mercury high performance gear oil is superior to the yamaha product.

I don't fog but I do use my boat year round.

Mine will sit for 5 months before I run it again. Not possible to run it every couple of weeks up here.

Everyone out at Renfrew uses marked. Was told by mechanic at Victoria dealer not to use. Says that dye that's added gels. My son is an auto mechanic, says that's stupid. I am not a mechanic. Lol

Someone did a big oil comparison test a while back. Yamalube is definitely superior to auto oils in that it has lots of rust inhibitors for the marine environment. Other marine oils tested well though. I think pennzoil's marine 4 stroke blend tested well.

Mine will sit for 5 months before I run it again. Not possible to run it every couple of weeks up here.

Everyone out at Renfrew uses marked. Was told by mechanic at Victoria dealer not to use. Says that dye that's added gels. My son is an auto mechanic, says that's stupid. I am not a mechanic. Lol

All the guides and boats there all summer are running the same gas with no problems so i wouldn't worry to much.. I Fog my motors every winter. Some guys do and some don't ? My buddies don't and they seem to be ok. It just comes down to choices..

We run marked fuel in 35 honda atv among many other types of vehicles with no problem. The Atv thing is a hoax if u ask me

I run regular Penzoil 10W30 on all my stuff. I didn't know about their marine oil. I heard years ago that it had the best performance but don't know how true that is. As far as leg oil goes I have always run Mercury Quicksilver brand. I think with regular oil changes it probably doesn't matter too much the brand....imo. Marked fuel......well..... I spend my summers in Renfrew as well and I'm certainly not packing in unmarked gas all summer long. lol

Back