Yamaha HPDI

R

Riptidestriker

Hello all you Guide's and Boaters out there. Looking for all the info I can get on Yamaha HPDI engine's, specific to break down's or such. Know many Guides here in the River city that tried this brand of engine from 2000-2005, with no success. Most breakdowns were around the 200 HR mark, anybody else out there have similar results???

On the matter of engine's guys don't get caught like I did, make sure engine year is on bill of sale. I thought I purchased a 2003 but was to find it was a 2001

Riptidestriker

I have a 2004 Yamaha 150 HPDI on my boat with approx 260 hrs with not one problem, no downtime and runs strong. I use YamaLube 2M, have a water separator on the main fuel line, fill my tanks in the winter and use a fuel stabilizer.

I have a 2004 Yamaha 150 HPDI on my boat with approx 260 hrs with not one problem, no downtime and runs strong. I use YamaLube 2M, have a water separator on the main fuel line, fill my tanks in the winter and use a fuel stabilizer.

Thanks for the reply salmon9

I am glad you have had no problems. The forums in the states are alive with problems with this engine type. My older EFI style YAMI likely cost me about $2 per hour to run, and the HPDI cost me about $2,000 per hour including cost and breakdowns. I would assume that yours is not used as a commercial engine.

quote:Originally posted by salmon9

Thanks for the info LastChance

What horsepower did your buddy have, and what year? The earlier ones were junk. I thought I had bought a 200 HP 2003 and stayed away from the problem's. At just over 200 hours my engine blew, and I was to find it was a 200 HP year 2001.

Recently I contacted a local Yami shop about trading my engine. Sensing his hesitation I quickly told him that it was rebuilt and then he seemed interested to trade.

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

The one guy I know that runs them where I fish has a pair of them, and he is on powerhead #2.

I am a recreational boater/fisher, used to guide but not with this boat. I do not put a lot of hours on the engine and never run it wide open trottle, usually around 3500 to 4000 rpms when cruising. I really haven't heard of any horror stories with this engine anymore than other comparable 2 strokes. The website "The Hull Truth" review outboards, including the HPDI, overall favorable reports. The charter boats I have seen in Campbell River running them haven't switched from what I can tell. Hope your problems settle down and provide you with less grief.

Did they tell your buddie why it blew. More than likely upper cylinders problem or water ingestion. After the 200 HP they came out with the 250 HP in the states, and they eventually started to recall the oil pumps. there were lots of problems with the oiling. They then came out with the 300 which caused even more problems.
quote:Originally posted by LastChance

THey are a couple of 2002 V-6's

Back