Yamaha hi thrust prop

Discussion in 'Buy / Sell / Trade / Wanted Forum' started by bentley, May 12, 2019.

1. bentley

bentley Active Member

I have a older Yamaha 9.9 woth a hi thrust prop, looking to trader the prop for a normal prop, if any body out there has one I will trader them this one, or purchase. Thanks

2. spring time

spring time Well-Known Member

Is it a high thrust motor because I think they are geared differently than a normal 9.9 and you won’t get the performance out of it

3. profisher

profisher Well-Known Member

Yep high thrust gearcases are designed for the high thrust props. You should change the gearcase as well to match the new prop.

4. bentley

bentley Active Member

I have no idea, if it has a high trust gear case, I’ll check into this. Thanks

5. profisher

If the gearcase is as wide as the hub of the high thrust prop it is a high thrust gearcase.

6. bentley

bentley Active Member

So it looks like it’s a high thrust, the T in the serial number represents a high thrust model. I would be interested in trading or making a deal, if somebody has a need for a high thrust kicker, I think this one is 1993, 4-stroke, electric start, log leg.

7. AlK

AlK Well-Known Member

I don't see a problem using a regular prop with a high thrust gear case, if it were the other way, then yes the high thrust prop would put a lot of strain on the regular gear case.
    Can someone shed some light on this?

8. profisher

The gearing in the leg will mean you will run out of rpms on the engine before you make any speed with a normal prop on it. It is geared lower, kinda like a crawler 1st gear in a pickup. Not that low but lower than a regular leg.

9. bentley

bentley Active Member

Thanks for the advice guys, still wouldn't mind trying a different prop on it, if anybody has one kicking around. PM me
    Thanks,