Yamaha F250 O8 MAKIN OIL

hooktender68

All the 4 stroke Yamha owners out there in the 200, 225,250hp, does any one else's motor have trouble burning the dye in the mid grade marine fuel ? Yamaha said my motor wasn't running hot enough (Parker in CR) to burn the dye so they tried to rectify the problem by installing a 'hotter' thermostat!?

The issue still exists. They tell me to not burn marked fuel. Does any one know where to buy that around Essperanza/Nootka ? My thinking with the rising oil level, is that the oil becomes diluted and does not do its job. I change my oil at half the intervals Yamaha calls for just cuz I think I should and it wont hurt.

Sooo, Does any one else find this? and what should a guy do?

I bought a pair of 225 last year and was having the same problem,lived with it for a month earlier oil changes like yourself ,3 other charter guys purchased new motors after me two sets are 300's and another pair of 225 ,they all had the creeping oil after i gave them the heads up we all put hotter thermostat's in and that has solved the problem ,we all run marked 87 octane from coluimbia fuels,i talked to my mechanic and he was saying that these synthetic oils break down much faster, that the regular oil 10-40 seems to stop that creeping ,not sure what kind of oil your using or how old your motors are? i had a old pair of 225 on there for 7 yrs thought i would try synthetic ,right away i started gaining oil went back to reg stuff and it stopped,with these new motors you have to stay with the yama lube or it voids the warranty,

I noticed at the end of last season that my 150 was making oil. I am going to get the thermostats replaced in the spring with the Suzuki ones which are hotter as recommended by Sherwood Marine where I bought the boat. I did a fair bit of research into it since I'm not boating at the moment. Others suggest running the boat at WOT for five minutes at the end of the day to burn off all unburnt fuel.....but this isn't always practical. I may even change my prop as it runs near the bottom end of the WOT range. The Tech at Sherwood said they have good success with the Suzuki thermostats to fix the problem......we'll see in the spring I guess? I also read in a forum about adding "Ring Free" to the fuel tank a few times a season as well. Keep me posted with any updates........

I guess this is not limited to the bigger models. I have a 90 hp Yamaha on my boat and am dealing with the same issue.

It's a common problem on all 4 strokes i was told.

Not burn marked gas ?? WTF??

Fishtofino

I was told the same. All 4 strokes can have the same problem but with using the Ring Free Plus stuff will help. They also said that changing the thermostat can create internal corrosion problems
Now I just need someone's who has used Ring Free opinion

Only a problem with the larger motors that only get run for short durations.
I troll with mine (albeit only a 50hp) and theres no unburnt fuel present
to make oil.
Try trolling with the main for a while, see if that helps ?

No problems with the break in period, I followed it to the book. Also my 300 hp makes no oil so I don't have the problem.

I'm just curious about the ring free plus stuff. From what I understand the Ring Free Plus stuff is an added protection to the bigger engines, The sales rep referred to it as taking vitamins but who can believe a sales guy...

I need to find someone that has tried it and get there opinion.

Back