Yamaha F200 Reviews

Brian Reiber

Our used motor search doesn't seem to be turning up what we want and going new is starting to look like the only solution. Hopefully there will be some boat show specials that we can capitalize on. Does anyone have experience with the Yamaha F200. It is intriguing for our setup due to it's light weight. However, a lot of the internet searches that I have done suggest it might not quite put out the full 200Hp that it's touted as. In fact several people suggest that it really isn't any better than a 150. Can anyone weigh in? We are replacing a Honda 200 and don't want any less power than that we also do not want anymore weight than the 588lbs of the Honda 200. The other motors we are looking at are the Yamaha 250hp (4.2L not the 3.3) and the Etec 200 HO. Suzuki and Verado's unfortunately are out due to weight.

Thanks

Tohatsu 250 weighs just slightly over at 600lbs. That’s a 250! I’ve read they are made by Honda. Probably your “cheaper” option.

All new motors will come with a warranty which must be nice for peace of mind. I’d hate dropping $10,000 on something used and it ***** the bed shortly thereafte.

Our used motor search doesn't seem to be turning up what we want and going new is starting to look like the only solution. Hopefully there will be some boat show specials that we can capitalize on. Does anyone have experience with the Yamaha F200. It is intriguing for our setup due to it's light weight. However, a lot of the internet searches that I have done suggest it might not quite put out the full 200Hp that it's touted as. In fact several people suggest that it really isn't any better than a 150. Can anyone weigh in? We are replacing a Honda 200 and don't want any less power than that we also do not want anymore weight than the 588lbs of the Honda 200. The other motors we are looking at are the Yamaha 250hp (4.2L not the 3.3) and the Etec 200 HO. Suzuki and Verado's unfortunately are out due to weight.

Thanks

The 200 is from the same engine family as the 150, which is supposed to be their best selling outboard of all time.
One major difference though, while the Yamaha 150 and 175 use 87 octane fuel, the 200 requires 89 octane. May or may not be an issue for you.

As an inline 4, it is light, but will have less torque than a comparable v6.

Oh and I am biased, I have twin Yamaha 150's and love them.

There's lots of reviews of the F200 4cyl on www.thehulltruth.com. The rumours are that the original F150 was a "strong" 150hp and the F200 is a "weak" 200hp. Who knows if that's true. More plausible to me is the theory that the combination of the F200 power curve and the lower unit gear ratio make it sensitive to prop selection.

From memory, the original F150 was 2.7L, and the current model basic mechanical shift F150 is still 2.7L. The electronic shift F150 and the F200 are both 2.8L. Note that there are reports online that the F200 is louder in the midrange than the F150...possibly due to different air intake components.

There's lots of reviews of the F200 4cyl on www.thehulltruth.com. The rumours are that the original F150 was a "strong" 150hp and the F200 is a "weak" 200hp. Who knows if that's true. More plausible to me is the theory that the combination of the F200 power curve and the lower unit gear ratio make it sensitive to prop selection.

From memory, the original F150 was 2.7L, and the current model basic mechanical shift F150 is still 2.7L. The electronic shift F150 and the F200 are both 2.8L. Note that there are reports online that the F200 is louder in the midrange than the F150...possibly due to different air intake components.

That is a good point, the electronic shift (DEC) models are now 2.8L and they require 89 octane ,while the mechanical 150 and 175 can still use regular 87.

Not sure if you are set on Yamaha, I have a 200hp suzuki new last year and have nothing but good things to say about its performance. Have a look at them as they are in my opinion superior to the Yamaha 200hp equivalent. They motor itself is offset forward and connects from the crank via a gear to the leg increasing the torque and allows for larger propeller diameters. My 200hp came with a stock stainless propeller and it's much larger than the equivalent 200 Yamaha.

I'm not a pro or mechanic but just thought since you are on the hunt you could dig some info on the Suzuki. I'm definetly happy with it and its performance on my boat. I burn 32 liters per hour at 4400rpm, and 25 knots speed.

When I bought the boat it was originally coming from the dealer with a Yamaha 200 and it ended up being cheaper to switch to the suzuki and I got a 6 year mfg warranty vs 3 from Yamaha. (This was April 2018) and they still had boat show pricing/promotions.

I've also heard a lot of good things on the evinrude and last year they were offering 10yr warranties.

None of the light weight 4 stroke outboards which achieve the light weight status by eliminating steel cylinder sleeves can be rebuilt if the cylinders get damaged. They use a chromium type coating over the aluminum cylinder walls. Once this coating is damaged that block is a throw away. This technology has also been used in the auto industry to reduce weight. I saw a newer Jag sedan in a local shop with the engine out of it and asked the owner (who fishes) what was up with it. He said the motor used chrome coated cylinders and they were pooched, low compression, no power and using oil. The cost of a new engine (that would have the same coatings) was so much that the owner couldn't justify fixing the car. Sounded like he was walking away from it. Just something to keep in mind.

x2 for Suzuki’s / I’d stay away from Yamaha’s based on the negative experiences of a few of my friends who have all since moved to Mercs or Suzuki’s and have no issues

Not sure if you are set on Yamaha, I have a 200hp suzuki new last year and have nothing but good things to say about its performance. Have a look at them as they are in my opinion superior to the Yamaha 200hp equivalent. They motor itself is offset forward and connects from the crank via a gear to the leg increasing the torque and allows for larger propeller diameters. My 200hp came with a stock stainless propeller and it's much larger than the equivalent 200 Yamaha.

I'm not a pro or mechanic but just thought since you are on the hunt you could dig some info on the Suzuki. I'm definetly happy with it and its performance on my boat. I burn 32 liters per hour at 4400rpm, and 25 knots speed.

When I bought the boat it was originally coming from the dealer with a Yamaha 200 and it ended up being cheaper to switch to the suzuki and I got a 6 year mfg warranty vs 3 from Yamaha. (This was April 2018) and they still had boat show pricing/promotions.

I've also heard a lot of good things on the evinrude and last year they were offering 10yr warranties.

Thanks for all the info folks. I think the general consensus supports the research I did on other sites that suggests the 4cyl Yammie is a little weak. So I think we can remove that from the contenders list. The 200 Suzuki looks promising as does the Etec 200HO. The new Merc is also a possibility. I think the best motor for us though would be the 250hp Yamaha 4.2L It's 25 pounds lighter than our old Honda 200 has more power, is likely better on fuel and has a proven track record. Now to find a good deal on one......

I ran a brand new set (2) F200s last season. They worked fine however...
Other boats in the fleet had twin 225s or 250s and ran at lower RPM and burned less fuel at comparable speeds.

I ran a brand new set (2) F200s last season. They worked fine however...
Other boats in the fleet had twin 225s or 250s and ran at lower RPM and burned less fuel at comparable speeds.

Yes but just don't forget that to save a few dollars per trip on fuel, it cost about 7-9 grand to do so.

$cylinders will not make the same torque as a V6 there's no replacement for displacement on a naturally aspirated motor.

Pros and Cons by brand based on last few years

Yamaha - fantastic dealer support
A proven brand - reliable, quiet economical
Naturally Aspirated
Runs on straight gas no 2 stroke oil needed

Cons - a bit more expensive than other brands.

Suzuki - Good dealer support but not as well covered as Yamaha
Naturally Aspirated

Cons - Not the most corrosion resistant ( Drive shafts if not removed and re-greased can seize in powerhead ) Had a buddy have to junk his 300 do to this when the impeller went.

Mercury - Good dealer support

Cons - Super Chargers extra moving parts to make HP
Counter rotating legs on the 150's are common to blow at 1000 hrs - last I heard Merc still can't figure out a fix.
Verado Power steering can be an issue when running a kicker unless you modify the steering

Etec - Okay dealer support based on number of Etec shops
Fuel efficient high torque motors
Ease of minimal maintenance required and auto fogging.

Cons - forced to use expensive 2 stroke Etec oil
Power steering problematic on High HP outboards and are a big job to work on I've been told when there is issues

At the end of the day based on the experience I have had and what friends have dealt with the only motors I would buy new is Yamaha or Suzuki. Yamaha is my first pick based on my experience of using them vs other brands I have run. Would I buy a boat with a different brand yes but I would pay more for that same boat with a Yamaha or a Suzuki on it.

As for Suzi spinning a bigger prop the difference is a 1/4" they can run a 16" prop where as Yamaha and the other brands can run a 15 3/4" prop very minimal difference. The gear ratio is reduced on the Suzuki but they make up for it in a high pitched prop where as the other brands use a faster spinning prop with a lower pitch prop so is the difference really noticeable or could you tell?

$cylinders will not make the same torque as a V6 there's no replacement for displacement on a naturally aspirated motor.

Pros and Cons by brand based on last few years

Yamaha - fantastic dealer support
Naturally Aspirated

Cons - a bit more expensive than other brands.

Suzuki - Good dealer support but not as well covered as Yamaha
Naturally Aspirated

Cons - Not the most corrosion resistant ( Drive shafts if not removed and re-greased can seize in powerhead ) Had a buddy have to junk his 300 do to this when the impeller went.

Mercury - Good dealer support

Cons - Super Chargers extra moving parts to make HP
Counter rotating legs on the 150's are common to blow at 1000 hrs - last I heard Merc still can't figure out a fix.
Verado Power steering can be an issue when running a kicker unless you modify the steering

Etec - Okay dealer support based on number of Etec shops
Fuel efficient high torque motors
Ease of minimal maintenance required and auto fogging.

Cons - forced to use expensive 2 stroke Etec oil
Power steering problematic on High HP outboards and are a big job to work on I've been told when there is issues

At the end of the day based on the experience I have had and what friends have dealt with the only motors I would buy new is Yamaha or Suzuki. Yamaha is my first pick based on my experience of using them vs other brands I have run. Would I buy a boat with a different brand yes but I would pay more for that same boat with a Yamaha or a Suzuki on it.

As for Suzi spinning a bigger prop the difference is a 1/4" they can run a 16" prop where as Yamaha and the other brands can run a 15 3/4" prop very minimal difference. The gear ratio is reduced on the Suzuki but they make up for it in a high pitched prop where as the other brands use a faster spinning prop with a lower pitch prop so is the difference really noticeable or could you tell?
Thanks Brock,
The old adage "no replacement for displacement" is so true. I'm pretty skeptical about these inline 4's.

Good thread. the only thing I have to add to the conversation is that the Evinrude E-tecs are noticeably LOUDER than any of the comparable 4-stokes listed. I've been out fishing on a boat with twin e-tec 200's and also a boat with a single e-tec 300 and noise while running was an issue for me. You really had to raise your voice to have a conversation which is not the case with any of the new 4-stokes from Yamaha, Suzuki, Merc, etc. Based on my time on the water my ranking of outboards at this point is: 1) Yamaha 2) Suzuki 3) Mercury and 4) Evinrude. Merc has been improving it's product for a while now and getting close to Yami's and Suzukis IMO>

Back