Yamaha F115 timing belt

Foxsea

My 2006 outboard requires a new timing belt, according to the maintenance schedule. The engine only has about 800 hours on it and the belt looks good. The local shop says about $500 labour and materials, to change it. However, if I can do it myself, it's inexpensive peace of mind. Has anyone here changed one? Any tips or tricks.

Most likely you will need a puller to get the flywheel off and then torquing it back on afterwards can be tricky as you need to secure it. Other that that, it's pretty easy. Make sure you don't move the Cam wheels when you remove it or your timing will be out of whack. I was pretty sure the maintenance on a Yam says 1000 hours for the timing belt change though. You're probably ok for another couple hundred hours. I inspect it every season. 500$ is pretty crazy for a timing belt in my opinion, it should be a quick job for a shop.

I believe the F115 is an interference engine.
therefore if the timing belt breaks, the valves could get driven into the pistons.
1000 hours sounds about right.

I believe the F115 is an interference engine.
therefore if the timing belt breaks, the valves could get driven into the pistons.
1000 hours sounds about right.
Thanks, guys. 1000 hours is right but it also says before 10 years. I'm overdue.
I might give it a try because a broken one sounds like a disaster.

Back