Yamaha F115 Oil Change Kit

SeaWolf

So I went into the dealer to buy a filter for an oil change and they are now selling a boxed oil change kit (oil, filter, new gasket). So I figured I`d try it out. I was somewhat skeptical that the kit had the required 4.3 liters so I even asked the Parts Counter guy and he just pointed to the sticker that said it was for a F115. The kit also comes with instructions and says for the F115 from the year 2000 on that the required amount of oil is 3.7 liters. The kit comes with 4-one liter bottles. Now my owners manual says 4.3 liters excluding filter, the engine has a sticker that says 4.3 liters. This online link says 4.3 litres http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/assets/pdf/applicationguides/outboard_en.pdf , but there is another site that says 3.7 liters http://www.yamahaoutboards.com/outboards/Inline-4/specifications. I realize the last link is for the current model year but the engine appears to be the same displacement. Yet another link from the US for the Oil Change Kit, calls for 4.3 liters or 4.5 with filter. To me 800 mils of oil is a lot. I`ve added the 4 liters so far and plan to call the dealer tomorrow, but what the heck ?

Is this some kind of Yamaha fix to the making oil problem? The filter accounts for 200 extra mls from what I`ve gathered, but the F115 kit seems not to even take that into account if the Engine Oil Capacity is 3.7 liters. Clear as mud so far, any other F115 owners encounter this?

Engine probably takes over 4 litres but you never get all the oil out on a change so it might take the 3.7 to top it back up. Manual is a guide your dipstick should know when you've got enough in there. Remember to check after you've run the engine not just after you add the oil. If you need over 4 litres buy a 1 litre and top it up.

Tips on oil change
Mine is a 2005 115hp and it takes 4.3 L just like the sticker on the mill says.
The filter was empty when I pulled it off last oil change.
Wipe new oil on the gasket on the oil filter when changing.
Make sure your engine is level when checking the dipstick.
I had to lower the nose of my trailer to clear the leg from the ground.
I used a bubble stick to check for level.
I used an empty 1 L bottle to measure the .3 L needed for that last bit.
When adding the new oil I tilted the motor up so the funnel sat correctly.
When I checked the oil level it was bang on with the 4.3 L fill.
I never changed the gasket on the drain plug and so far no leaks.
If I was going to change that gasket I would wipe it with new oil.
Torque drain plug to 20 ft lbs or 1/4 turn past finger tight with new gasket.
I used a torque wrench but check your manual.

Have you googled comparisons on the oil filter. Yamaha's filter is not the best I believe it was NAPA that got first place. Yamaha's was 3-4th to the bottom of the list. NAPA's filter on a good account is under $5. As for Yamalube talk to your marine mechanic most shops just use regular bulk 10-30W oil.

I've had the motor since new and have always added the 4.3 liters, and pretty followed GLG's procedure. For reasons beyond my control, starting and checking the level cannot be done easily until the front panel on my Portable Garage gets replaced in a few weeks. Until then, I have a temporary tarp keeping the elements out. Being it was so warm yesterday I thought it would be the perfect day to change the oil as I usually run it to warm the oil but cannot this time. From the onset, the motor came with an elaborate instruction on how to check the oil, raise, lower check for level, allow for the oil to drain back which is not always easy to do. One thing I have noticed is that if I start it too soon after having the motor raised fully I get an Oil alarm. If I wait a minute or two to allow the oil to settle back down, no alarm.

This is what I got from the Dealer, Yamaha Tech Tip OB10-014 dated February 2010, titled Engine Oil Capacity F40A - F350 models.

"Beginning with the April 2008 production of F40A - F350 models, the engine oil capacity specifications stated in the Owner's Manual lists both the oil pan capacity (dry engine) and the amount required at periodic maintenance. THe Engine Oil label affixed to the flywheel cover will list only the amount required for periodic maintenance. Previous Owner's Manuals and flywheel cover labels specified the total amount of oil required to fill a totally dry engine. Some quantity of oil will remain in the oil passages and the oil pan when draining for routine maintenance. Overfilling the engine will occur when adding the total amount specified for a dry engine."

They give the following example for a F350;

Engine oil quantity without replacement of oil filter (Oil Pan Capacity) 7.8 L
Engine oil quantity with replacement of oil filter (Oil Pan Capacity) 8.0 L
Amount of adding engine oil (at Periodic maintneance) Excluding oil filter 6.3 L
Amount of adding engine oil (at Periodic maintneance) Including oil filter 6.5 L

Pulling the plug yesterday, I got well over 4 liters out. I can see if I was doing with a dipstick pump maybe leaving a little behind, but i cannot see leaving 800 ML's in the motor.

Something is fishy and I can find a F115 US Kit that cames with 4.8 US quarts of Oil on Ebay. 4.5 liters is 4.8 quarts, yet in Canada the kit comes with 1 liter of oil less.

Waiting for a call back from Yamaha Canada, as it stands now both myself and GLG have been adding way too much oil according to what has been provided to me, but in reality I do not think that is the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well both the Dealer and myself have talked to Yamaha Canada, and it appears the Oil Change Kit branded for the F115 is wrong. The instructions in the kit claims the same 3.7 liters for the F75 to F115, however the F115 is a larger motor and has always required the 4.3L (without filter) or 4.5L (with filter). The Canadian kit is 0.5 Liters short, the US kit has miraculously 4.5 liters. FWIW the Dealer gave me an extra bottle of Oil, but one has to wonder what about others if they followed the instructions in the kit?

Good work, while your at it, could you help me with something? My box of raisin bran states that there are 2 cups of raisins in every box. I'm not convinced. Could you please dump the box out and pick out all the raisins. Then and only then,
we shall see. Just kidding Sea Wolf, good on you for being so thorough on your maintenance.

Back