Yamaha 9.9 won't shut off

Crow

My Yamaha 9.9 doesn't always shut down when ignition key turned to off position.
I'm thinking its the switch but thought I would see if someone else had this happen and found a different solution.
Thanks

Likely a bad ground. Find the wiring diagram to figure what colour wire is the shut down and then hunt for where it grounds inside the cowling. Remove, clean, replace.

Thanks sly_karma and no luck.
I did pull the emergency clip and the motor kept running. I found a wiring colour code chart so I'll start with the ground.

I bealive the shutoff is the white wire . Remove the cowling and take a good look from the engine to the remote harness.

I found a suspicious connection at the wiring harness and fixed that. unfortunately the motor still is running when the key is shut off. followed the white wire from the wiring harness to the engine and it actually goes into a module with about eight other wires so I don't think that's a connection problem. Now I'm hoping it's the switch rather than the brain box

Attachments

• IMG_0538.JPG
    IMG_0538.JPG
    415.2 KB · Views: 56
Crow, I can't seem to post a picture !so I've emailed you the wiring flow chart for testing the ignition switch.

My Yamaha 9.9 doesn't always shut down when ignition key turned to off position.
I'm thinking its the switch but thought I would see if someone else had this happen and found a different solution.
Thanks

Check the white wire for continuity, this is the likely cause

Back