Yamaha 9.9 with power tilt

I had a 1998 Yamaha 9.9 trolling motor without power tilt. It was mounted on a Pooderbuilt hydraulic bracket. I sold the older Yamaha and bought a new Yamaha 9.9 with the power tilt. I either need to have the hydraulic bracket reconditioned and cleaned up, or replace it with a fixed position bracket. The question I have is whether the power tilt on the new Yamaha is robust enough to handle being in the up position while running in rough water for 10 or more years. What do you guys think?

I'm not sure I'm answering the question here but I have a power tilt 9.9 Yammi from 2003- lots of hours on it-always in the up position except when trolling. Tilt motor went last fall-that's 10 years.

I'm not sure I'm answering the question here but I have a power tilt 9.9 Yammi from 2003- lots of hours on it-always in the up position except when trolling. Tilt motor went last fall-that's 10 years.

Should also add that I fish almost exclusively in the off-shore waters of WCVI

I had a 1998 Yamaha 9.9 trolling motor without power tilt. It was mounted on a Pooderbuilt hydraulic bracket. I sold the older Yamaha and bought a new Yamaha 9.9 with the power tilt. I either need to have the hydraulic bracket reconditioned and cleaned up, or replace it with a fixed position bracket. The question I have is whether the power tilt on the new Yamaha is robust enough to handle being in the up position while running in rough water for 10 or more years. What do you guys think?

I have 2006 Yamaha T8 high thrust with electric tilt. Tilt it up & go . Never had an issue with going offshore. I spend approx 5-6 weeks going to big bank & south bank. Electric motor is starting to rust near pump is my only issue. May go soon not sure. Sometimes I get a little engine oil leaking out front when I tilt up now ??? Has me puzzled . Might be sneaking by dip stick or vavle seal. Brought home & would not leak for nothing . Go Figure A.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 2004 Yamaha T8 with power tilt. Has worked flawlessly. When it is up I put a 1" x 2" piece of wood through the tilt frame and then let the power tilt off so it rests on the wood.
Takes pressure off the hydraulic cylinder and also provides a bit of cushion for the bouncing when running.
The Yamaha T8 also has a tilt support pin on the side of the mount that you can push in when up so the motor rests on it and cannot go down until it is retracted.
I don't like this as much as it is metal on metal.

Back