Yamaha 8hp kicker won't stay locked up

Jockey

I have an issue with my kicker motor. When I am motoring in rougher water my kicker will drop down after a few bumps. Basically it doesn't lock into position properly and if the boat bounces there is a good chance the kicker will lift up and then drop down to the next tilt slot.

Another thing it does (which I think is related) is when I lift the motor up after a day of fishing I have to reach in behind the motor and press the little tab in to engage it. If I just press the tab on the front and lift the motor up it will just drop back down because that tab doesn't lock itself in.

Anyone had this happen and know what the quick fix is? I am wondering if it's a bad spring or something similar but on inspection it seems ok.

Do you happen to have a lock on your kicker (on the bolts)? This happen to my buddy. It turned out that when he lifted the motor, the lock on the bolts was getting in the way and preventing the tilt lock to engage. He just had to flip the lock upside down to prevent the issue.

After breaking the tilt lock mechanism going over a speed bump with my honda on the trailer, I slide a piece of leftover oak hardwood flooring in there when it is in the up position. works for me.

I actually looked again last night and figured out the issue. The problem is my kicker is mounted on the wrong side of the transom. It's on the same side the steering cable etc from the big motor comes out. When I lift the kicker up I can't engage the lock because there are too many heavy cables in the way. I've thought of moving it to the other side before but wasn't able to get the kicker off (again probably due to all the damn cables). Plus my boat is fishing well right now so thats another excuse to not change anything.

Maybe I can find and alternative like a peice of wood or something like was suggested above. Moving the kicker might be a winter project but I also know if I move it to the other side I will need to have the tiller handle pointed straight up in order to use the steering bar. I sort of like the side it's on now because i can sit back there and drive comfortably when it's a zoo out there and i need throttle control or I can connect the steering bar and leave the tiller handle down and steer from the front. It doesn't seem to hurt the motor the few times I have had to run with it tilted down but it does scrub off a few MPH.

I have exactly the same problem with my 6 HP Yammie which is the same motor as the 8 HP. The momentum change causes the motor to lift disengaging the bar from the small catch position. I am going to try some kind of bungy to apply forward pressure to the bar. There is a spring in the middle of the bar, it is hard to see where it locks into place on the far end. Replacing it mat help. It is apparently a common problem on non power trim models. Frustrating as hell in the swells.

Jockey, after talking to Yamaha dealer and playing with it in the driveway, I am 99% certain the spring on the catch plate needs replacing. $7 part worth a try. On backorder of course. I am going to use a bungy to add a bit of sprung pressure on it in the meantime.

Yamaha T8 catch plate problems

I know this is an old thread but just wondered if that catch plate spring replacement solved your problems.

Back