Yamaha 8 horsepower....

Seafever

What is the difference between a T-8 and an F-8 Yamaha?

and is it possible to get them WITHOUT the charging system?

Thanks.....

The T-8 is the high thrust version and the F-8 is the regular version, they don't make the T-8 anymore only the T-9.9
As far as the charging system I don't know, my old 2005 T-8 does have a 6amp system on it.

The reverse was always possible - plug in a charging rectifier and harness assembly, standard Yamaha part. I would think you just unplug the assembly if one is fitted. Not a very expensive upgrade ($80-100) so you won't be saving anything much by deleting.

I didn't really need the charger on a kicker....and if you have one they say it's not good to run it without being hooked up to a battery.

That right?

If you get an electric start model, it comes with the charging system and it is connected into the battery cables. For a manual start it is an add on, and yes it needs to be connected to a battery, disconnecting it is just a matter of unpluging it under the cowl though.

What happens to the charging system if it isn't always hooked up to a battery?Just wondering,as I have a 8hp Honda
that I sometimes run without connecting.Thanks for any information you can give me.

I bought a new to me manual start Yamaha F8 and have run it several times. I only recently discovered it has a rectifier that is charging so hooked up cables to it. It did not have a ground wire so maybe that prevented it from burning up

A few years back I had a 20 horse 2-stroke that had no charger on it.

I bought an aftermarket charger and installed it.

It had no rectifier. And I didn't want to spend additional bucks at the time.

Turned out to be a battery/finder killer because it was pumping out too much voltage at higher rpm.

So took everything off pretty much, although the parts that do the charging were still on it.

Ran it that way.

Not much happened that I noticed.......ran o.k.

I heard that if you have a charger that isn't hooked up....and you run the engine......then if your charging cables accidentally touch each other you will fry some charger parts on the engine.....kaput.

Back