Yamaha 50, What is too many hours

Time

Spotted a 2013 F50 4 stroke, it did it's 2 years in a fish camp and then went on a recreational boat, guesstimated 800 hours on it. Asking $4,000.00
Worthwhile to pursue further?
Would have mechanic check over of course if I go for it.

It might be good idea to get it to a dealer and get printout of the amount of hours, and at what rpm ranges, as well as any codes etc.

I have 2003 merc 50 4s (some Yamaha parts) which is a lease return and has been on my boat since 2006 and I've had the boat since 2011. Regular maintenance and one fuel pump so far.
Hours are unkown, but high. I've fished about 15 days a year, but that is changing pending retirement so I'm interested in this discussion.

I have 2003 merc 50 4s (some Yamaha parts) which is a lease return and has been on my boat since 2006 and I've had the boat since 2011. Regular maintenance and one fuel pump so far.
Hours are unkown, but high. I've fished about 15 days a year, but that is changing pending retirement so I'm interested in this discussion.
Do you figure you have about 3,000 hours?

just guessing.
I only know it doesn't owe me anything.
Boat, trailer, and motor was 6k.

Ah well. Missed out on this one.
Would rather have a 60 or 70 hp anyway.
Anybody got one for sale (I wish).

Always look at hours and years. I don’t believe hours is always the best metric to measure the usable lifespan of a motor.

Ah well. Missed out on this one.
Would rather have a 60 or 70 hp anyway.
Anybody got one for sale (I wish).

The Yamahas 50, 60 and 70 hp all share the same displacement, just less the 1 litre. while the 75, 90 and 115 share a much larger displacement close to twice the smaller hp models. IMO although all late model Yamahas share a good reputation, the lower hp models of the same displacement would be a longer lasting engine. If your boat will accept the extra weight, I would consider a 75 or a 90 hp model.

My boat (Arima) is a bit heavy for a 50, hence would like a 60 or 70.
The 75 and up, a bit too heavy, what with a kicker hanging out there.
Trying to keep the balance.
And yes Scott, definitely a 4 stroke.
Have a good 2 stroke now and you are right about the cold weather.

My uncles older 90 yamaha 4 stroke circa 2005 went about 4000hrs and was starting to get a bit tired. He sold it and it is still on my buddies work boat at the cabin with about 4500hrs on it

Back