Yamaha 250 hp compared to Yamaha 300 hp

Doug

I recently replace my 2006 Yamaha 250 hp with a new 6 cyl 300 hp Yamaha, both engine were installed on the same vessel (2006 Skagit Orca) and I can offer the following findings.

My 250 hp was in its fourth year of operations and the pinion gear snapped a tooth, usually this is caused by hitting something with your prop but in my case nothing was hit and during inspection Yamaha agreed and replaced the entire leg at no charge.

Both engine come with a 3 year warranty which I up graded to 5 year. With the 250 I still had over a year warranty remaining, thank god or the new gears in the leg would have been at my cost.

Top speed with the 250 hp = 40mph. with the 300 hp 45mph
The 300 hp is approx 40+ lb less weight than the 250 hp.
The 300 is a little louder than the 250 hp was but not by much.
The 300 is a lot faster getting out of the hole (obviously with 50 hp more) and onto plane.
The 300 controls are electronic which makes operating the control much easier and could be compared to a joy stick on your computer. You push the handle forward or backwards an inch and you feel a click in the handle telling you that it is in gear. There is about a 1/2 second delay between the control and the engine. The 250 hp had cable controls which were a little stiff when shifting but nothing that was unacceptable.
The engine ideals at 600 rpms and can be adjusted up by 50 rpms increments up to 1000 rpms, so if you ever have to troll with the main engine you can vary your speed more accurately.
I opted for the new SDS Prop. It was 30% more than the SS regular Prop. When putting the engine into gear with the SDS prop there is a very soft clunk (sometime you don't hear it) and the boat starts moving. As with all my other outboards you could easily hear the clunk in and out of gear. Hopefully with the softer shifting the pinion gear and bearings will have a longer life??

The biggest difference noticed is fuel savings. With the 250 hp @ 30 mph I was getting 1.9-2.1 mile per gallon (us) and now with the new engine I'm getting 2.4-2.5 miles per gallon, that a 20% fuel savings and when you spend $$$$ on fuel a year that's a good $$ savings at the pump.

In conclusion, I have only had the engine running for 10 hours so far and hopefully it will continue to perform as it has??? who knows. But so far I have been impressed with electronic control system, the SDS prop and very very impressed with the 20% savings in fuel.

I'm sure that the other major outboard engine suppliers have comparable engines. So far the new Yamaha 6 cyl 300 hp has been great.

No pictires of the new engine on the boat yet but here is a photo of the 250 hp

Attachments

• long crop orca small.jpg
    long crop orca small.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,719
I want to get a picture of Doug doing 45 mph as he heads outside Whiffen Spit in a 4 knot ebb tide bucking up a 20 mph south westerly. :) I'll be in the boat doing 12 mph with greenies busting over the bow and then dropping into the rear cockpit. I'll have a bag over the camera to keep it dry!! lol

Great write-up! Thanks. A Skagit Orca 24XLC with a 300 Yammie main and 9.9 kicker is top of my list of want-it-bad boats. If I ever win a lottery..... :D

I didn't buy the engine to go faster, I purchased it for better fuel mileage. Yamaha sold me on fuel consumption idea and for a change it wasn't just a sales pitch.

Being a guy who loves power and the more power the better boat, car, truck................ I didn't build that LT-1 in my vette for gas mileage that engine was built for gas consumption.

There are two questions you have to ask yourself
"How fast do you want to go?
"How much $$$ do you have?

Ya but you also get to the gas station faster. ;)

Profisher

All I'm hoping for is that I save 15+ % in gas, so that's 15+ % less trips down to the boat with the gas cans in the wheel barrel and some $$$ savings in my pocket.

That's as long as I don't start giving it to get there faster and get that first line in the water.... you probably know what I'm saying.

Doug, you know it doesn't come down to how fast your boat is to win the first line in the water honours. There are always some clowns leaving the dock at 3am thinking there is a prize for being there first. Your just getting home and going to bed at that time so forget it. ;)

Gypseas

I think Profisher is referring to you and the South African Queen (Mike) leaving in the dark to beat everyone to the hot spot. Mike already travels at 60 mph so you don't have to leave so early.

I'll see you out there this weekend, most likely Sunday.

Say hi to Mike for me.

:D:D:D

Hey....

when one's not as profishent at catching as others, one is forced to use any and all tricks available.
heheheehee

Very clever there Gypsea, maybe I should come over to the dark side too and see if it helps me. :)

Congrats Doug always nice to have extra power if/when you ever do need it though.btw going with the 383 stroker going to be ready in 2 weeks 425 hp think my boat will go good LOL LOL

Wolf

Roy

It's always good to have more power and with your new engine the boat should jump onto plane and cruise at a lower RMPs which hopefully will save on gas. With 400+ hp your boat will take off no matter how many people are on board and hopefully it will get good mid range rpm fuel mileage.

Based on my Yamaha fuel management system and the RPMs , the new 300 is running at 900 rpms less than the 250 hp when traveling at 30 mph. That 900 rpms = a 15%+ fuel savings. That 15%+= $$$$ special with the amount of longer runs to the halis areas I do. When ever hali fishing is open.

Right now I'm consuming very little gas. 0 mph = 0 gph.
Hopefully this weekend I'll go fishing

I have a fuel managment system on the boat to compare my finding

Doug you better dip your tank and check that 0 mph + 0 gph. I've been siphoning gas from your boat after you leave to reduce my gas costs. ;)

That is my fuel management system lol

Back