Yamaha 225 smoking with very high oil consumption

S

solarwind

Sooooo, went for a boat ride yesterday. Left Esquimalt around 11 and was on my way to Port Browning on Pender for lunch. Just as I came through the gap at Pender the motor started to surge a little, felt a little like it was running out of gas. I knew it couldn't be that so I backed off a little and it seemed fine until we got there. When I was leaving I didn't go fast just to see if something was going to happen, once thrrough the gap I got it back up on plane and again it started to surge. Then it started to smoke. Not a like a 2 stroke smokes, but more like a burning house smokes. I backed right off the throttle and everything seemed okay below 2700rpm. On my 5 hour journey home I did have to fill it with oil twice, so I know everything is not okay. My question is this: is there any other reason on a Yamaha that would cause this other than a failed ring or piston?
Thanks for all your input in advance.
Don

You might have a head gasket gone. They sometimes pop around an oil passage. You can usually find it during a compression test.

IMG_1445.jpg

It went through about 10 litres of oil in 5 hours, so I'm pretty sure it was smoke.[V]

I know the heads on those were not good best you take it in and have them look at it you need a professional mech. not us.

Sorry about your luck especially now that really sucks!!!

Wolf

Well, actually its not all that bad. I'm going up to Zeballos to guide for most of August. I'll be on Adrians old boat,Reel Obsession. Also I'm a licenced auto tech so I'm sure I'll be able to fix it myself. just was hoping someone would have some experience with this sort of thing.

Check your plugs for oil fouling, this will direct you to the problem cylinders. My bet is n the lower cylinders.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

I just got back from a couple weeks at Zeballos fishing. I was in such a good mood I decided to do a compression teston it, hoping that my mood wouldn't change. It did. One cylinder was at 90 psi and another was at 20. #$^!%$#!%$@#!%!!!!! That sure doesn't sound like a head gasket....

I'll bet its a piston gone. Yamaha doesn't use a forged piston which are much stronger than a cast one. I've seen many piston failures on 2 and 4 stroke Yami's. If your going to rebuild...buy some Wiseco Forged pistons and rings for it. They are way stronger and cheaper too! Made in USA.

Now that you have the problem cylinder located you will either have to get a bore scope and check the cylinder walls through the spark plug hole or pull the head. There is still a possibility that it is the head gasket.[8D]

IMG_1445.jpg

No point scoping, the head has to come off either way.

Just got around to pulling the heads off. When I pulled the water jacket cover off the port head noticed that their was a ton of corrosion and the gasket had failed as well, right beside the bottom cylinder on that side. The result was a burnt valve which got stuck down cotacting the piston and breaking it in 2. Funny though, their is almost no marks in that cylinder from when it broke. The one right above it is definately scored and that is the cause of the 90 lbs in that cylinder likely.
So now I'm a little sad, but my neighbor tells me it could have been worse, at least I don't need to buy another powerhead.

Thanks for filling us in on the results.Since 1973 I have worked either full or part time around boats and such even as a second job.Though I am stabbing at what it might be without actually being there this tends to keep my trouble shooting skills up to par. I was not totally right on my guess I was barking up the tree next to it.
These motors are built sturdy and might be worth a rebuild unless the hours are extremely high. Good luck with what you decide to do.[8D]

IMG_1445.jpg

Solarwind-HOW MANY HOURS did the motor have on it when this happened-was the motor kept in the water or on a trailer and flushed. I have exactly the same motor and I'm nervous.

Well, the motor had almost 1700 hours on it and before I got it I knew it had sat in the water for a while without being run. There was a crap load of corrosion in the water jacket as well as loads of shredded barnacles so,I'm pretty sure I had been on borrowed time for quite some time. I'll probably need a new head, unless anyone knows of machine shop that can work miracles. I'm gonna pull the broken piston out today. :(

so I was just about to pull the piston and noticed a bit more corrosion in the water jacket deep inside the block. So I stuck a pic in it and it went straight through. I wish I had taken this apart weeks ago as I'd already be fishing with a new outboard. Ah well, live and learn I guess.

Back